[net.arch] Interpreters

bmw@aesat.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (03/10/86)

In article <2002@peora.UUCP> jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) writes:
> ... the particular microprocessor I'm thinking of (I forget the part
> number; it is some Zilog single-chip microcomputer which Steve Ciarcia
> writes a lot of his projects for) does indeed directly execute BASIC.  It
> is true that there is a BASIC interpreter in ROM, but when you start up
> the computer, it executes this interpreter.
>  [...]
> Of course, the Zilog machine has another instruction set in which the
> BASIC interpreter is written.  So there's another level of interpretation
> involved.

The part is called a "Z8671" which is a 2K ROM Z8 with Tom Pittman's
port of Tiny Basic (called "Basic/Debug") permanently burned into it.

You may be interested to know that the Basic interpreter itself is written
in a pseudo-code and is ITSELF INTERPRETED by a little run-time routine
that the Z8 executes upon power-up.  This interpreter is all that Mr.
Pittman has to change in order to get his Basic up on most any micro.

Bruce Walker     {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!bmw

"I'd feel a lot worse if I wasn't so heavily sedated." -- Spinal Tap