[net.arch] ROM's in Core stores

pete@stc.UUCP (03/14/86)

Xpath: ukc eagle

In article <49@man.cs.uxuk.ac.> alasdair@uk.ac.man.cs.ux writes:
>My friends and colleagues frequently sigh nostalgically in the common room
>for the days in which they used to modify parts of the Atlas operating system
>with wire-cutters and tweezers...

        British Telecom techicians are *still* sighing as they make
        changes to cyclic store data on TXE4RD exchanges. These are
        enormous (4 foot x 2 foot) core ROMS which hold subscribers'
        information in the form of wires run through ferrite cores.

        Rethreading these store to make subs' data changes is
        probably the *worst* job in BT!

        The MCU (processor) on this system use[s,d] the same
        principle on a smaller scale for its program store. They are
        now being replaced by ROMs.
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	"Shut up, Marvin. This is organism talk."