[net.arch] Cmore Kray

dan@pyramid.UUCP (Danial Carl Sobotta) (03/15/86)

henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) states:

>When I was down in Boston for Boskone last month, I visited the Computer
>Museum.  (Well worth seeing, by the way.)  The "computer pioneer" exhibit
>was on Seymour Cray.  Among various bits of interesting hardware, they had
>a few quotes from him up on the wall.  I copied down the shorter ones:
>
>  "There has never been a good product designed by a committee."
>
>  "Keep a decade behind."
>
>  "I am all for simplicity.  If it's very complicated I can't
>   understand it."

  I might add something else he said (don't know where I read it or if it's even
true):
          "Real Programmers write in assembly"
  (they don't eat quiche either!)

 Remember, this is the guy who designed the Cray 1 using only pencil and
paper!  He probably got fewer ulcers doing it that way (rather than using
the typical garbage software commonly found in most CAD systems!!)
--

  'Out of the inkwell comes Bozo the Clown ...'

DISCLAIMER:  These opinions are neither mine nor my C-compiler's
       sun!pyramid!dan

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/15/86)

In article <160@pyramid.UUCP> dan@.UUCP (Dan Sobottka) writes:
> Remember, this is the guy who designed the Cray 1 using only pencil and
>paper!  He probably got fewer ulcers doing it that way (rather than using
>the typical garbage software commonly found in most CAD systems!!)

Hmm, how many ECOs did the Cray 1 have? And isn't it true that each
Cray is practically hand built? You can cover up a multitude of sins
that way, I think.
--
 "We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will become the
  present, and respect the past, knowing that once it was all that was

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com