[net.arch] What is MIL-STD-1750A?

doug@terak.UUCP (03/07/86)

I thought I knew everything there was to know, and then I find not
one but two separate references to a MIL-STD-1750A instruction set
in one issue (3/3/86) of Electronic Engineering Times.  One talks
about Ada(tm) compilers that generate 1750 code, and the other was
an ad from Fairchild touting the F9450 microprocessor.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

david@ztivax.UUCP (03/11/86)

1750 is a 16-bit processor architecture standard.  The fairchild chip
is one of the implementations, touted to be very good.

It is a large (CISCy) instruction set, but still a nice one.  It is
nice because it is regular and orthogonal.  Virtually every register
(16?) can be used for virtually any instruction.  As I remember (it
has been 7 years now), there is not even a dedicated stack pointer,
and call/return needs to say which register to use as sp.

It is easy to program in assy and the compilers for it are efficient.

Very 68Kish.

seismo!unido!ztivax!david

jack@boring.uucp (Jack Jansen) (03/14/86)

In article <2900007@ztivax.UUCP> david@ztivax.UUCP writes:
>1750 is a 16-bit processor architecture standard.
> ...  Virtually every register
>(16?) can be used for virtually any instruction.  As I remember (it
>has been 7 years now), there is not even a dedicated stack pointer,
>and call/return needs to say which register to use as sp.

Hmm. If this is true, how are interrupts handled? Do you specify
the stackpointer in the vector? Does the machine pick a register
at random:-)?

--
	Jack Jansen, jack@mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.

wallach@convexs.UUCP (03/14/86)

1750a is an AIR FORCE standard ISA.  it is for a 16-bit machine and the
instruction set looks a lot like the pdp-11.  the air force chose to have
their own isa so that would have data rights.  that is they could license
any vendor to do any implementation they chose.

schuler@gondor.UUCP (David W. Schuler) (03/18/86)

> 1750a is an AIR FORCE standard ISA.  it is for a 16-bit machine and the
> instruction set looks a lot like the pdp-11.  the air force chose to have
> their own isa so that would have data rights.  that is they could license
> any vendor to do any implementation they chose.

Where can I get a copy of the Instruction Set/Architecture Specifications?

Dave Schuler
ihnp4!psuvax1!gondor!schuler
schuler@psuvaxg.bitnet
schuler%gondor.uucp@penn-state.csnet