[net.arch] Commercially Available RISC Unix Boxes

steve@jplgodo.UUCP (04/18/86)

In article <817@umcp-cs.UUCP>, chris@umcp-cs.UUCP writes:
> In article <257@pyramid.UUCP> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
> >[The Ridge 32C, predecessor of the 32/300, turned in 1776 Dhrystones.
> > I don't believe it; I think the 32C was a lot faster than that.]
>
> I would believe it.  The Electrical Engineering department here got
> an early Ridge.  The thing was usable only as long as there was one
> process running on it.  Start two tasks---one background job would
> do---and response time became awful.  It felt as though it were a
> swapping system with floppies as the only backing store....

When Ridge first starting selling machines, they gave a very large discount
to universities and government sites on the purchase of the first machine
at a site.  Unfortunately, the machines sold under this discount only had
two megabytes of memory.  Also, that version of ROS (Unix port) gave the
same memory priority to background and foreground jobs (the system was
envisioned as a number cruncher running essentially a single job at high
speed).  After using our 32C for about a year, we added two more megabytes of
memory and upgraded to ROS 3.3 (which gives foreground priority over
background). The performance increase when running multiple jobs was tremendous.

BTW: I was the person who sent in the 1776 Dhrystone number and I am reasonably
sure I did it right.

I am in no way connected with Ridge--just a satisfied customer.

--

...smeagol\			Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve	Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs