[net.arch] Realtime Operating System

jay@sdcarl.UUCP (Jay Tobias) (04/30/86)

We are considering various options for the realtime component of a
computer music workstation currently being designed.  A main constraint
in our decision is that the realtime operating system be in the
public domain.  In terms of the system itself, the overiding riding
constraint is execution speed, particularly with respect to interrupt
response time.  Also necessary is a file system, but memory management
support is not wanted in view of the requirement for execution speed.

Our base hardware is an EMS board with a Motorola 68010 microprocessor.
Currently under consideration are the operating systems Xinu, as
published by Comer in "Operating System Design, The Xinu Approach,"
and Harmony, which may or may not be in the public domain, from
W. M. Gentleman of Canada.

Possible other solutions are welcome, as are pointers in the direction
of further knowledge on the subject.

Jay Tobias	(619) 452-4383
University of California, San Diego
Center for Music Experiment Q-037
La Jolla, Ca. 92093
{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!jay

From postnews Wed Apr 30 09:37:06 1986
Subject: Realtime Operating System
Newsgroups: net.os