[net.arch] Response to <1363@unc.unc.UUCP> <1712@gitpyr.UUCP>

kludge%gitpyr@gitpyr.UUCP (04/27/86)

In article <1363@unc.unc.UUCP> hedlund@unc.UUCP (Kye Hedlund) writes:
>BUT, a 68010 is about 0.4 mips @ 10MHz, and a 68020 is about 1.5mips @
>16.67MHz (measured on SUN workstations running C under 4.2 BSD).
>This gives 0.040 mips/MHz for the 68010 and 0.091 mips/MHz for the 68020
>and suggests that there is better than 2:1 architectural and implementation
>advantage for the 68020 independent of the circuit technology.

   Your point that the mips/Mhz rate is a slightly accurate method of
measuring architectural efficiency is somewhat valid, but it must be
pointed out that there is no good definition of either the MIPS or the
MHz rate.  Assuming that MIPS measures the average execution speed of
the average instruction ( and who says what is average? ), and MHz measures
clock cycle time, all you are actually measuring is the number of clock
cycles per instruction.  I have a computer that runs at 200 MIPS, and
executes one instruction per cycle.  However, because it only has one
instruction, it is not very efficient, although its specs look great.
In addition, you can use some Intelling, and tinker with your MIPS and MHz
rates.  By the way, what is a MHz rate?  Do you mean the number of cycles
per millionth of a second, and if so, do you include wait cycles and
feed/refresh cycles?  The ratio of two meaningless numbers produces a
number which is still pretty meaningless.

--
-------
Disclaimer: Everything I say is probably a trademark of someone.  But

Scott Dorsey       " If value corrupts
kaptain_kludge         then absolute value corrupts absolutely"

ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die), Rich 110,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 36681, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kludge

Unknown@hplabs.UUCP (04/27/86)

This message is empty.

apn%gilbbs@gilbbs.UUCP (04/28/86)

In article <1712@gitpyr.UUCP>, kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Dorsey) writes:
> In article <1363@unc.unc.UUCP> hedlund@unc.UUCP (Kye Hedlund) writes:
> >BUT, a 68010 is about 0.4 mips @ 10MHz, and a 68020 is about 1.5mips @
> >16.67MHz (measured on SUN workstations running C under 4.2 BSD).
> >This gives 0.040 mips/MHz for the 68010 and 0.091 mips/MHz for the 68020
> >and suggests that there is better than 2:1 architectural and implementation
> >advantage for the 68020 independent of the circuit technology.
>
>    Your point that the mips/Mhz rate is a slightly accurate method of
> measuring architectural efficiency is somewhat valid, but it must be
> pointed out that there is no good definition of either the MIPS or the
> MHz rate.  Assuming that MIPS measures the average execution speed of
> the average instruction ( and who says what is average? ), and MHz measures
> clock cycle time, all you are actually measuring is the number of clock
> cycles per instruction.  I have a computer that runs at 200 MIPS, and
> executes one instruction per cycle.  However, because it only has one
> instruction, it is not very efficient, although its specs look great.
> In addition, you can use some Intelling, and tinker with your MIPS and MHz
> rates.  By the way, what is a MHz rate?  Do you mean the number of cycles
> per millionth of a second, and if so, do you include wait cycles and
> feed/refresh cycles?  The ratio of two meaningless numbers produces a
			/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
> number which is still pretty meaningless.
  /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

	I agree, the numbers are essentially meaningless. Even among members
of the same CPU family, care must be taken to actually compute the real time
to do a given task ( i.e. tight delay loop ) for example a HD64180 executes
most z80 instructions in 25% less time running at the *same* clock speed. A
similiar comparison can be made between Intel's x86 cpu's and NEC Vx0 parts,
but only on certain instructions.

       However, in the 68010/68020 we simply maybe comparing bus sizes and
respective bandwidths.

	The claims I really enjoyed reading were when Apple quoted there
Mac - thing as having a 32 bit cpu. Maybe those of use with 80n87's should
claim to have 80 bit cpu's ?  GIVE ME A BREAK GUYS....

    Alex Paul Novickis		(707) 575 8672
    Fulcrum Computers, Inc.	1635 Ditty Ave. Santa Rosa, CA 95401-2636

    {ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!apn

"Almost doesn't count...      but it almost does"

DISCLAIMER:  The opinions contained herein may not be of anyone that I know.

mash%mips@mips.UUCP (04/30/86)

Scott Dorsey writes:
> In article <1363@unc.unc.UUCP> hedlund@unc.UUCP (Kye Hedlund) writes:
> >BUT, a 68010 is about 0.4 mips @ 10MHz, and a 68020 is about 1.5mips @
> >16.67MHz (measured on SUN workstations running C under 4.2 BSD).
> >This gives 0.040 mips/MHz for the 68010 and 0.091 mips/MHz for the 68020
> >and suggests that there is better than 2:1 architectural and implementation
> >advantage for the 68020 independent of the circuit technology.
>
>    Your point that the mips/Mhz rate is a slightly accurate method of
> measuring architectural efficiency is somewhat valid, but it must be
> pointed out that there is no good definition of either the MIPS or the
> MHz rate.  Assuming that MIPS measures the average execution speed of
> the average instruction ( and who says what is average? ), and MHz measures
> clock cycle time, all you are actually measuring is the number of clock
> cycles per instruction.  I have a computer that runs at 200 MIPS, and
> executes one instruction per cycle.  However, because it only has one
> instruction, it is not very efficient, although its specs look great.
> In addition, you can use some Intelling, and tinker with your MIPS and MHz
> rates.  By the way, what is a MHz rate?  Do you mean the number of cycles
> per millionth of a second, and if so, do you include wait cycles and
> feed/refresh cycles?  The ratio of two meaningless numbers produces a
> number which is still pretty meaningless.

One more time (I'd swear we've been thru this before in this newsgroup):
1) Measure the performance of a benchmark on machine A, giving time A.
2) Call that performance, arbitrarily, 1 MIPS.
3) Measure the same benchmark's performance on machine B, giving time B.
4) The MIPS rating, on this scale of B, is (time A) / (time B),
i.e., one is really defining a "unit of equivalent work".  A common unit
is a VAX 11/780, which is usually called a 1Mips machine, although it
really does about 500,000 VAX instructions / sec.
5) One can legitimately argue about what MHz means.  A common way is to
take the time to do an ALU operation as 1 cycle.  wait cycles and refresh
cycles are irrelevant, since you presumably see their effects in actual
performance measurement.
6) The general point is that you must be precise enough about what
you're using that people can understand what you mean.  As usual,
comparions of tiny hand-coded instructions sequences are meaningless,
and you must measure substantial real code. you must also be exceeding
careful to bound the domain of discourse, i.e., comparing scalar and
vector machines can be misleading if done using ill-chosen benchmarks.
Note that you're usually including effects of compiler performance as well.
7) Subject to all of the above, with enough definition, the Mips/MHz
(or its inverse, cycles / equivalent Mip) can be a useful measure, if
only because it gives you a somewhat technology independent measure.
Like almost anything else in this area, if you get +- 10%, you're lucky.
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash, DDD:  	408-720-1700, x253

kissell%garth@garth.UUCP (05/01/86)

In article <1363@unc.unc.UUCP> hedlund@unc.UUCP (Kye Hedlund) writes:
>When comparing the perofrmance of microprocessor architectures, it would
>be desirable to separate architectural factors from technological
>factors. For example, if machine A has performance 1.0 and machine B
>has performance 2.0, does B have a "faster architecture?"  The answer of
>course is "it depends."  It depends on many factors including the
>underlying technology used to fabricate the chip.  If B was implemented
>in 1.0um CMOS and runs off a 20MHz clock whereas A was fabricated with
>4um nMOS and runs at 5MHz then perhaps the architects (and
>implementors) of A did an excellent job with a slower technology.
>Perhaps A will run circles around B if implemented with similar
>technology.
>
>This leads us to making a first attempt at factoring out the technology
>speed out of performance estimates of microprocessors by computing
>performance/MHz.  Mips/MHz immediately comes to mind but one could
>also compare Drystones/MHz, Whetstones/Mz, etc.
>
>This measure is clearly far from precise.  Performance ratings are subject
>to interpretation and variation.  MHz is by no means a complete
>measure of the underlying circuit technology.

Indeed, if cycle time is truly a function of circuit technology,
one wonders how Seymour Cray has managed to get such fast cycle times
with technology that he gleefully admits was a generation behind the
state of the art.  Cycle time is as much a function of architecture
as of technology - it's not just how fast your transistors switch,
it's also how few of them you can get away with stringing together in
each logic stage.

Kevin D. Kissell
Fairchild Advanced Processor Division

brooks%lll-crg@lll-crg.UUCP (05/02/86)

In article <315@garth.UUCP> kissell@garth.UUCP (Kevin Kissell) writes:
>Indeed, if cycle time is truly a function of circuit technology,
>one wonders how Seymour Cray has managed to get such fast cycle times
>with technology that he gleefully admits was a generation behind the
>state of the art.  Cycle time is as much a function of architecture
>as of technology - it's not just how fast your transistors switch,
>it's also how few of them you can get away with stringing together in
>each logic stage.
Seymour Cray gets fast cycle times the good old fashioned way, no
microde and pipeline everything in sight, including the channel
to main memory.   Now that Micro makers have finally started picking
up on the fundamentally important load/store RISC ideas, they had better
start looking at pipelining the functional units of the cpu along with the
channel to main memory if they want more speed.

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Dorsey) (05/12/86)

In article <459@mips> mash@mips writes:
>1) Measure the performance of a benchmark on machine A, giving time A.
>2) Call that performance, arbitrarily, 1 MIPS.
>3) Measure the same benchmark's performance on machine B, giving time B.
>4) The MIPS rating, on this scale of B, is (time A) / (time B),
>i.e., one is really defining a "unit of equivalent work".  A common unit
>is a VAX 11/780, which is usually called a 1Mips machine, although it
>really does about 500,000 VAX instructions / sec.

   This is a comparative rate, which is extremely useful.  However,
it varies depending on the machine that you use for comparison.  The
state of the art comparison machine will change quite rapidly as
technology advances, and this is not good.  My MIPS will not be the
same as his MIPS.
   You can say 'my machine runs at '.3 Vax Dhrystones', or some such
thing, but DON'T CALL IT MIPS!   MIPS means one specific thing, namely
a not-very-useful measure.

--
-------