[net.arch] Cray "A" processor

mnl@cernvax.UUCP (mnl) (05/10/86)

I was going through old Communications of the ACM looking for interesting
articles, and I found the January, 1978 issue, which has a special section
on computer architecture, including an article on the Cray-I. On page 71,
under the heading "Front-End Computer Interface", it says:

     Cray Reseaaarch software development is currently being done
     using a Data General Eclipse computer [as a front end].  The
     Cray Research "A" processor, a 16-bit, 80 MIPS minicomputer
					    ^^^^^^^
     is scheduled to replace the Eclipse in early 1978.

Does anyone know what happened with this machine?  I assume that it
was a Cray-I stripped of the vector and floating point hardware, and
maybe also lacking multiply (Can you say RISC?  I knew you could.)
I suppose it probably died because it was too expensive, and due to
a lack of software, since Un*x wasn't the obvious choice for an
operating system in 1978 that it is now, and I don't think Cray
Research had the resources to write their own mainstream operating
system.
--
Mark Nelson

mnl@cernvax.bitnet or ...!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!mnl
"This function is occasionally useful as the arguement to a function
which requires a function as an arguement."  Guy Steele

brooks@lll-crg.ARpA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (05/11/86)

In article <310@cernvax.UUCP> mnl@cernvax.UUCP (Mark Nelson) writes:
>I was going through old Communications of the ACM looking for interesting
>articles, and I found the January, 1978 issue, which has a special section
>on computer architecture, including an article on the Cray-I. On page 71,
>under the heading "Front-End Computer Interface", it says:
>
>     Cray Reseaaarch software development is currently being done
>     using a Data General Eclipse computer [as a front end].  The
>     Cray Research "A" processor, a 16-bit, 80 MIPS minicomputer
>					    ^^^^^^^
Take a look at the Cray 2, there are 4 back end processors which have
the full Cray 2 instruction set.  The front end cpu is a stripped instruction
set job that probabably evolved from this work.

bjr@alliant.UUCP (Josh Rosen) (05/14/86)

   I don't know what became of this machine,  but the rumor at the time
(at least at DG) was that the Cray front end processor was going to be a
6 nsec NOVA.  The NOVA was the predessor to the ECLIPSE and had a very
RISC like instruction set.

jhf@lanl.ARPA (Joseph Fasel) (05/15/86)

> I was going through old Communications of the ACM looking for interesting
> articles, and I found the January, 1978 issue, which has a special section
> on computer architecture, including an article on the Cray-I. On page 71,
> under the heading "Front-End Computer Interface", it says:
>
>      Cray Reseaaarch software development is currently being done
>      using a Data General Eclipse computer [as a front end].  The
>      Cray Research "A" processor, a 16-bit, 80 MIPS minicomputer
> 					    ^^^^^^^
>      is scheduled to replace the Eclipse in early 1978.
>
> Does anyone know what happened with this machine?  I assume that it
> was a Cray-I stripped of the vector and floating point hardware, and
> maybe also lacking multiply (Can you say RISC?  I knew you could.)
> --
> Mark Nelson
> mnl@cernvax.bitnet or ...!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!mnl
The A processor evolved into the I/O processor (IOP) of the Cray 1-S
and Cray X-MP.
--
Joe Fasel
jhf@lanl.{arpa,uucp}

jhf@lanl.ARPA (Joseph Fasel) (05/22/86)

Allen Baum was apparently unable to post news from host "apple", and
asked me to post the following for him:
The CRAY A-machine that is used in the I/O processor of the Cray-X/MP
is a 16-bit machine with 128 instructions. There is an accumulator, an
index register, 512 operand registers, and 64K words of local memory.

More than a quarter of the opcodes are unconditional and conditional
branches/calls(returns?) of various flavors. The only branch
conditions are Carry=0, Acc.=0, and their inverses.  There appears to
be a 16 deep return stack, but I'm not sure how its used.

Another quarter of the opcodes are I/O channel functions of the form:
Do function N on channel C (C can be the contents of a reg or a literal).

There are a few control instructions, and the remaining instructions
are the arithmetic/logical class.

The operations are simple: +,-, inc, dec, and, move, and shifts.
The addressing modes are simple: immediate, operand reg. direct,
operand reg. indirect (thru index reg), and local memory indirect
(thru operand regs.)

Instructions are mostly 16 bit, with a few 32 bit (includes 16bit
immediate field).

	Allen Baum, Apple Computer