From seismo!harvard!USC-ECLB.ARPA:INFO-ADA  Mon Oct 14 16:37:50 1985 remote from ihnp4
From: ihnp4!seismo!ucb-vax.Berkeley.EDU!harvard!allegra!princeton!siemens!gypsy!rosen
Date: 3 Oct 85 17:29:00 GMT
Subject: Please Test This
Sender: ihnp4!seismo!harvard!ucb-vax.Berkeley.EDU:usenet
To: UCB-VAX.Berkeley.EDU!info-ada

Can someone run this small program through their Ada compiler and let me
know what it has to say.  I've already run it though the Verdix compiler and
the Ada/ED compiler both for Unix 4.2 on a Vax.  If you have a different
compiler, then I'd like to know what it has to say.
The error concerns the importation of the equality operator for objects that
are of an access type and are declared in a different package.  The Verdix
compiler says that if I do not issue a "use" clause for the imported package
(the one with the access type definitions), then I must qualify the "="
operator since it is not directly visible.  The Ada/ED compiler doesn't
require this.  I believe the Verdix compiler is right since it is taking the
LRM literally, but I would like to know what other compilers say.
Here's the program:
package IMPORT_ACCESS_TYPE is
  type POINTER is access INTEGER;
  --
  -- Declaration of a public access type.
  --

end IMPORT_ACCESS_TYPE;
with IMPORT_ACCESS_TYPE;  -- Notice the the lack of a 'use' clause
			  -- which is very important in this example
procedure MAIN is
  X,Y: IMPORT_ACCESS_TYPE.POINTER;
begin
  --
  -- The compiler will/should complain about the test for equality in the
  -- following statement since the "=" operator is not directly visible.
  --
  if (X = null) then
    Y := X;
  end if;
  --
  -- The compiler should not complain about the test for equality in the
  -- following statement.  This form is required if there is no "use" clause

uucp%ihnp4.UUCP@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (UUCP Admin) (10/17/85)

We have been unable to contact machine 'delftcc' since you queued your job.

	delftcc!mail sam   (Date 10/14)
The job will be deleted in several days if the problem is not corrected.
If you care to kill the job, execute the following command:

	uustat -kdelftccN14f9

	Sincerely,
	ihnp4!uucp

##### Data File: ############################
From seismo!harvard!USC-ECLB.ARPA:INFO-ADA  Mon Oct 14 16:56:19 1985 remote from ihnp4
From: Herm Fischer <ihnp4!seismo!rand-unix.ARPA!harvard!hermix!fischer>
To: eclb.ARPA!info-ada
Subject: Draft for Comments, Mil Hndbook, Ada Programming Guidelines
Cc: ECLB.ARPA!HFISCHER
Date: Fri Oct  4 23:26:17 1985

A new DoD document, released for comment on a short schedule, covers use
of Ada -- with DoD-STD-2167 (SDS), and provides Ada programming guidelines
(really in the form of "coding standards").  I presume it will be in the
interests of many readers to participate in a review of this.

The Electronic Industries Association (EIA G-34) has released for comments
the 6-Sep-85 Draft of DoD-HDBK-287 (Superseding DoD-HDBK-281), titled
"Defense System Software Development Handbook".  Comments are due in
no later than 15 Oct 85, in order to meet a deadline of 18 Oct 85 imposed
by the JLC/CSM (the deadline is under protest and may be extended).

This handbook "provides guidance to Development Agency and Software
Support Agency personnel charged with planning, establishing, and
managing Software Development Programs for any phase of the System
Development cycle.  It is designed to supplement the DoD Joint
Regulation on Management of Computer Resources in Defense Systems and
to provide specific guidelines for applying DoD-STD-2167 (SDS) to
software acquisition, development or support projects.  Specific
topics covered are as follows:

   - Acquisition, development, and support of systems and software
   - the four steps of the tailoring approach
   - procedural guidelines for contract commencement and administration
   - topics of concern for the software acquisition manager (incl. Ada)
   - defense system software development
   - how to tailor DIDs to a software acquisition
   - Examples of DID selection
   - ADA PROGRAMMING GUIDELINES    <==== NEEDS YOUR CAREFUL REVIEW!!!

If you'd like to know who in your company might have received this
document, or if you would like a copy of the Ada-relevant sections
to review, time is short to get started.  (The Ada section is reasonably
compact, and shouldn't take too long to study.)

You can contact me or the CODSIA coordinator as you wish:

   Herm Fischer   Arpanet:  HFischer@ECLB
                  UUCP:     {randvax, cepu!ucla-an}!hermix!fischer
                  AT&T:     (818)995-7671
                  toll-free via SBS in most cities:  dial 950-1088, wait
                            for 2nd tone, then tone-dial FISHER (347437)
                  Snail-mail:  Mark V, 16400 Ventura Bl, Encino CA 91436

   CODSIA Coordinator:  Ole Golubjatnikov   (315)456-4744

uucp%ihnp4.UUCP@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (UUCP Admin) (10/17/85)

We have been unable to contact machine 'delftcc' since you queued your job.

	delftcc!mail sam   (Date 10/14)
The job will be deleted in several days if the problem is not corrected.
If you care to kill the job, execute the following command:

	uustat -kdelftccN14fa

	Sincerely,
	ihnp4!uucp

##### Data File: ############################
From seismo!harvard!USC-ECLB.ARPA:INFO-ADA  Mon Oct 14 16:57:50 1985 remote from ihnp4
From: ihnp4!seismo!ucb-vax.Berkeley.EDU!harvard!uwvax!pokey!dan
Date: 7 Oct 85 15:05:08 GMT
Subject: bug-free programs
Sender: ihnp4!seismo!harvard!ucb-vax.Berkeley.EDU:usenet
To: UCB-VAX.Berkeley.EDU!info-ada

   For anyone who is used to reading the horror stories in Software
Engineering News, the idea of bug-free large programs is a bit hard to
grapple with.  Large programs are so complex, and have so many states,
that exhaustive testing would take hundreds or thousands of years.
Even in the unlikely event that you do have a mechanical proof system,
that system is vulnerable to the input and output predicates for a given
code fragment.
   The important thing about Ada exceptions is that they include the
ability to trap constraint and range violations like the one which
would supposedly appear on the pilot's display.  Proper coding standards
will enforce the creation of programs in which these (unlikely but
possible) errors would be trapped and dealt with in an orderly way.
   Sure beats the heck out a C program that goes off the end of an array
and fires your ejection seat . . .
   -- Dan

uucp%ihnp4.UUCP@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (UUCP Admin) (10/17/85)

We have been unable to contact machine 'delftcc' since you queued your job.

	delftcc!mail sam   (Date 10/14)
The job will be deleted in several days if the problem is not corrected.
If you care to kill the job, execute the following command:

	uustat -kdelftccN14fb

	Sincerely,
	ihnp4!uucp

##### Data File: ############################
From seismo!harvard!USC-ECLB.ARPA:INFO-ADA  Mon Oct 14 17:01:17 1985 remote from ihnp4
To: brl-voc.ARPA!info-pascal, mit-mc.ARPA!info-ada, brl-vgr.ARPA!info-micro
Subject: Languages in use
Date: 12 Oct 85 13:42:08 PDT (Sat)
From: Dave Godwin <ihnp4!seismo!harvard!UCI-ICSE.ARPA:godwin>

Hi folks.
	I have a small favor to ask from a lot of people here.
	This message is addressed to all you folks out there teaching
classes at universities, or doing new research and development stuff
in large scale industry.  From the academic areas, I need to know what
languages you are teaching your freshmen.  Are these langauges used in
later courses they take ?
	From the R&D people, both in industry and academia, what languages
are you using most frequently ?  Why do you use that particular language
( please keep this answer down to a few chapters :-> ) ?
	Please send your replies to me direct; there is no need to clutter
any net space up with this.  If I get enough replies, I will post a summary
to the net.

	Thank you all much,

		Dave Godwin
		University of California, Irvine
		godwin@icse.uci.edu	<---- new arpa mailer address
		godwin@uci-icse.arpa	<---- old arpa mailer address

uucp%ihnp4.UUCP@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (UUCP Admin) (10/17/85)

We have been unable to contact machine 'delftcc' since you queued your job.

	delftcc!mail sam   (Date 10/14)
The job will be deleted in several days if the problem is not corrected.
If you care to kill the job, execute the following command:

	uustat -kdelftccN14fc

	Sincerely,
	ihnp4!uucp

##### Data File: ############################
From seismo!harvard!USC-ECLB.ARPA:INFO-ADA  Mon Oct 14 17:01:41 1985 remote from ihnp4
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 85 10:50:06 edt
From: ihnp4!seismo!harvard!ORNL-MSR.ARPA:jcm (James A. Mullens)
To: UCI-ICSE.ARPA!godwin, MIT-MC.ARPA!info-ada, BRL-VGR.ARPA!info-micro,
        BRL-VOC.ARPA!info-pascal
Subject: Re:  Languages in use

From Jim Mullens / Oak Ridge National Lab
Oak Ridge is a large government research lab.  I, and most people here, are
part-time programmers and full time engineering/scientific researchers so we
tend to stick with the common coin of the scientific programming world,
FORTRAN.  Most people have grown up with IBM mainframes and DEC minis, where
FORTRAN is well-supported.  On DEC minis at least, the language is highly
integrated into the operating system, so you can even do most systems programming
from FORTRAN...  I think the major reason we do not change languages is that
we have some very good reasearchers who only know FORTRAN, and could not
participate fully in a computer project using another language -- plus, we
simply cannot afford to learn a new language just because it is claimed to be
the optimum for this year's computer project.
Lately I think we are seeing the growth of easy-to-use speciality packages
which are almost languages, instead the learning of new languages.  CSMP is
an early version of this, spreadsheets another, advanced data base packages,
statistical packages like SAS, and so on.  This is, to me, an interesting way
to go...  In AI, expert systems are characterized by the incorporation of
"domain-specific knowledge" instead of general rules of reasoning.  These
language-like application packages seem like languages with domain knowledge
embedded in them.
I would like to hear the results of your survey.  Thanks.