[net.lang.ada] Professionalism

Eachus@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (12/08/85)

    Now  that  the problems caused by moving Info-Ada have been fixed, I
would  like to say some things in defense of Ed's efforts.  The need for
professional software engineers is here.  There are a lot of areas where
poor  software  could  be much more harmful than the recent problem with
this  mailing  list.   Responsible  people are going to insist that this
work  be done, and supervised, by professionals.  There are four ways to
do this:

          1. Use professionals from other engineering fields.
          2. Impose existing standards on Software Engineers.
          3. Develop new professional standards for Software Engineering.
          4. Ignore the problem and hope it goes away.

    For   software  engineers  using  Ada  solutions  one  and  two  are
unacceptable,  and  in  many areas (flight software, banking, SDI, etc.)
the  fourth  alternative  is too horrible to contemplate.  This leaves a
choice  between developing standards ourselves, and having others impose
them.  I hope that the standards that do evolve are similar to those for
other  professional  engineers,  or those for CPA's and actuaries, where
only  those  who  want  or  need  to  be recognized as professionals are
required to comply with the standards and ethics of the profession.

                                        Robert I. Eachus

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (12/13/85)

In article <851208185443.106615@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA> Eachus@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA writes:

>. . .  The need for
>professional software engineers is here.  There are a lot of areas where
>poor  software  could  be much more harmful than the recent problem with
>this  mailing  list.   Responsible  people are going to insist that this
>work  be done, and supervised, by professionals.

You miss the point.  The argument is not against competence or
professionalism, but against the usual idiot, ineffective efforts aimed
at ensuring such.  I don't doubt enthusiasts of multiple choice
certifying exams, degree requirements, and continuing education programs
are well-intentioned; I just think they're nuts.  I don't object to the
end but to the means.

Is anyone really stupid enough to think that sitting in a classroom for
x number of hours is necessary OR sufficient to learn something?  That
two people with the same amount of education and experience are
necessarily even similar in competance?  The only way to determine if
someone is a competent, conscientious programmer is to look at the
results of their work, WHICH IS PRECISELY WHAT COMPETENT EMPLOYERS DO
RIGHT NOW.  Replacing this with blind trust in some sort of
certification program is going to make things much worse, not better!

There is one case where certification might make sense:  Independent
consultants [disclaimer: I am one].  But I would hope such certification
would be based on demonstrated ability, not on a silly mix of education
and experience requirements and a multiple choice test (as the worthless
CDP is set up, for example).  This is not sour grapes:  I have been
programming since 1970 and I usually do in the 99th percentile on
standardized tests.  I just recognise how utterly irrelevant that is to
any real-world performance, with the exception of quiz shows.  (Maybe we
should certify contestants? :-)
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

In article <910@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:

>You miss the point.  The argument is not against competence or
>professionalism, but against the usual idiot, ineffective efforts aimed
>at ensuring such...  I don't object to the
>end but to the means.
>
>Is anyone really stupid enough to think that sitting in a classroom for
>x number of hours is necessary OR sufficient to learn something?  That
>two people with the same amount of education and experience are
>necessarily even similar in competance?  The only way to determine if
>someone is a competent, conscientious programmer is to look at the
>results of their work,...

	An example. I have gotten high ratings on technical
performance and programming skill from every employer I have ever
worked for. I learned programming, and every language I use regularly,
entirely on my own, from reading books and "playing" on computers!
I got my first job from a small firm that was willing to gamble on my
being able to handle the job, I was soon thier top programmer. Formal
training and experience are, at least in my case, almost meaningless.
(I tend to use the same method of learning in all areas of intertest
to me.)

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (12/17/85)

> ...I would  like to say some things in defense of Ed's efforts.  The need for
> professional software engineers is here.  There are a lot of areas where
> poor  software  could  be much more harmful than the recent problem with
> this  mailing  list.   Responsible  people are going to insist that this
> work  be done, and supervised, by professionals...

The objections to the "Ada professionalism" posting were not objections to
the idea that software should be built in a professional fashion, nor that
poor quality code can be harmful.  They objections concerned two apparent
misconceptions:

	- that constructing software in Ada is qualitatively different, to
	  an extent that requires Ada-specific solutions

	- that concerns of professionalism in programming can be addressed
	  by formal/bureaucratic/paperwork-oriented solutions

In particular, I think that the first misconception is the more dangerous.
To the extent that the Ada community allows or even encourages the idea
that it is qualitatively different from the rest of the software world,
that community is isolating itself to its own detriment.

From a different view:  There is a LOT of critical software in existence
today.  A TINY (miniscule; insignificant!) amount of it is in Ada.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Are you making this up as you go along?