[net.rec.ski] wood core vs foam?

pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) (11/26/84)

                                 -
Although  this  was  written  in  response  to   the   article   by
decvax!scorplx!frank,  I  thought  it might be of general interest,
thus this posting to the net.

>From: frank@scorplx.UUCP (Frank Pavelski)
>Subject: wood or foam core?
>
>][
>
>I've been shopping around for my first set of skiis (sp?) for a week or
>so now, and I am having trouble deciding what style of construction
>would satisfy my needs.  I've heard that a wood core with top and bottom
>layer of steel is about the most durable type of ski you can buy but that
>it isn't as flexible as a foam core.  I'm only looking to spend about
>$200-250 for the skiis and bindings.  This pretty much rules out the
>Omega construction that I've seen featured with Dynastar.  Can anyone
>tell me their opinion on such brands as Rossignol, Head, Fischer, K2 ?
>Is the extra durability of a wood core worth the sacrifice of greater
>flexibility.  I'm a beginning to intermediate skier and will be hitting
>some moggle (sp? again) trails this season. I'm 6 feet and 190 pounds
>if this makes any difference.  Also, how about some comments on what the
>favorite binding is of all you USENET people out there.
>

>                       Much thanks in advance,
>
>                               Frank Pavelski

Wood core vs. foam core, steel vs glass, long cut vs.  narrow  cut,
etc.   etc.,  ad  nauseum.   The  Madison Avenue types have to have
something to fill those  advertising  pages  in  skiing  magazines,
don't  they?   I  don't  mean  to be all that cynical, but the only
thing that really counts in skis, is how do YOU  like  them.   Over
the years, I have found that only three things need be considered:

  1.  Price

  2.  Brand

  3.  Version

To minimize price, try to  find  a  discount  outlet  selling  last
year's  brand  new skis heavily discounted (expect to pay half list
price or less).  If they were good last year,  they  will  be  good
this  year.  NEVER BUY USED EQUIPMENT.  There is nothing worse than
an old, worn out ski; they can look to be in great  shape,  but  no
telling  how many times they have been flexed to the max and there-
fore have lost a considerable amount of tension.  BTW,  the  length
of  ski  for  you is 185 cm (or 190 cm if you are strong, athletic,
like to ski fast, would like to race, or plan on improving).

Always get the top of the line, competition ski in any of  the  BIG
NAME  brands.   A partial list: Kneissl, Volkl, Fisher, K2, Atomic,
Rossignol, Dynamic, Olin.  I am particularly fond of K2 and Rossig-
nol.   Don't  let  the  fact  that you are an intermediate/beginner
skier, sway you into buying  less  that  the  competition  version.
Those  soft, forgiving skis will be good for one or two days at the
outside, before you are ready for something better.  The intermedi-
ate versions WILL hold back your progress.

Always get the Slalom version competition ski.  Forget Giant Slalom
(GS),  or  any other version (unless you are in to specialty racing
events). Slalom skis can be designed using side cut, flex  pattern,
or both.

My only advice on bindings is to go with BIG  NAME  brands.   Look,
Salomon,  Tyrolia  come  to mind.  Anti-friction pads are a must (I
don't even think you can get bindings nowadays without them).  Ten-
sion  settings should be set somewhere in the middle of their range
when tightened enough to hold you in.

BTW, spelling is "mogul," and "skis." Also "skier," "skied,"  "ski-
ing," "skiable."

 Paul Given             {ihnp4, houxe, stcvax!ihnp4}!drutx!pagiven
              AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
 11900 N. Pecos, Rm 1B04, Denver 80234              (303)-538-4058

bees@drutx.UUCP (DavisRB) (11/27/84)

I agree with P.Given... get the best, and get it new.  This can make a
big difference.

Warning:  each year, large sporting goods stores have huge sales on ski
equipment.  Coloradoans know this as "sniagrab".  You will usually find
a large number of certain skis (and boots) that are extremely
discounted and usually say "comp" on them.  You will also not find
these skis in the catalog listings for that particular manufacturer.
What they do is take a extreme mass market version (usually a rental
ski), and refinish it to make it look great, then "discount" it.  Make
sure what you buy is a real model of ski in that manufacturers line.

I don't agree with 180cm being a perfect length for a 6' 190lb person.
This depends more on how the person skis.  If you ski fast and take
long sweeping turns, you would be better off with a longer length.  If
you like to make quick turns in the bumps, get a shorter ski.  To me
180cm is short and 195cm to 200cm is longer.  205+cm is really for GS
skiers.  The longer the ski, the more stable it will feel at high
speeds (assuming equal flex).  I am 5'9" 150lbs, and ski with 195cm
competition slolom skis (medium stiff tips, stiff tails)!  Besides
shorter skis ruin the moguls :-).

Also, if a person skis very large moguls and lots of quick turns, they
might do better with skis that are softer than comp slolom.  I would
never recommend anything too soft or too short, even for a beginner.
Never did like GLM (Graduated Length Method)... teaches bad habits in
my opinion.  Of course, if you are skiing in the east, you might do
better with ice skates! :-) !

If you are in the market for new skis or boots, do your best to try
them out first.  This can be done by renting "demos" or "performance"
packages from decent ski shops.  For Denver area types, I would
recommend two different ski shops in Idaho Springs:
	Maison De Ski           567-2146        Bob Davis
	Original R&D            567-2044        Bill Tilley
They are both on the east end of town, right off I-70.  Very convenient,
and fast for those on the way up to the slopes.  Both shops have
performance rentals of different types, as well as very good regular rentals.
Talk to the owners (listed above) they know more than the others about fitting
specialty items.

Ray Davis
AT&T Information Systems Laboratories, Denver
{ihnp4, houxe, stcvax!ihnp4}!drutx!bees, (303)538-3991

hamel@bolton.UUCP (Bob Hamel) (11/28/84)

I thought I might add my comments concerning ski preferences. The previous
articles written by some folks in Colorado (I forget their names) contained
some good advice. But I think that several of their points are questionable.

"Always get slalom skis ...". Why? I was skiing on slalom skis for about 10
years (Rossignol Strato 102 and ST COMP). They were nice quick skis but tended
to chatter (vibrate) a bit at high speeds and they tended to sink alot in
unpacked snow. I bought Rossignal SM's (now the 3G) last year. They're great!
I have found them to be quick enough for bumps, VERY stable at high speeds, and
better in powder than my previous pairs of skis. I will admit that my
experience is limited to Rossignol and some demo-ing on K2's and ELAN, but I
think that the GS ski is a more versatile ski. And my SM's are fun!

"I never liked GLM ..." (or something like that). GLM (Graduated Length Method)
as a teaching technique did have its' flaws. However, it did teach us that it
is alot easier for a 'never-ever' skier to learn to ski with shorter skis. I
think that anyone who starts to ski on anything longer than 150 cm (or 170 if
they're very big) is just making things more difficult for themselves. If,
after the first time skiing, a person finds that he/she is handling the short
skis very easily, he/she can 'graduate' to a longer ski. The trend in ski
lengths is towards longer lengths and I think that's good (I ski on 203's), but
there's no reason not to start on something that's more managable.

I'd like to add two more points to the 'advice' on buying skis.

	1. If you're just starting to ski, rent equipment until you have a good
		idea what length you feel comfortable at. This also gives you a
		chance to grow into a length without suffering with long skis
		at the beginning and without getting stuck with skis that are
		too short at 'the end'.

	2. If you are buying new skis, try to demo several models that you
		might think you like. Many areas have 'demo days' where ski
		manufacturers bring up pairs of skis of various types and
		lengths that you can try. I know that Attitash and Wildcat
		(Dec. 1,2) and Waterville Valley (Dec. 15,16?) are having them
		real soon. You're the best judge of what you like (of course,
		your financial situation may have something to say, too)!

And, finally, THINK SNOW!!

						Bob Hamel

	"I'm going where the weather suits my clothes ..."