[net.rec.ski] wood core vs foam? Comments on Selecting Skis.

jm@tekig.UUCP (Jeff Mizener) (11/28/84)

--------
[]

I would like to take exception to a couple of points raised by Paul Given
in his response to Frank Pavelski (drutx!pagiven and scorplex!frank).

1) Paul says that the material and side cut, etc. don't matter.  What matters
   is whether you like them.  I submit that the material, cut, etc. will
   affect whether you like your skis because those factors determine how
   the ski will handle.  I agree that the bottom line is "do you like the ski",
   but I don't agree that the other things don't matter.

2) Paul says: "NEVER BUY USED EQUIPMENT".  I disagree.  Strongly.  Especially
   if the purchaser in question is a beginner.  There is no reason to assume
   that a ski may be no good just because it's used.  Skis are remarkably tough.
   If a ski looks ok on the top and bottom, chances are that it's in good
   shape.  How do we know this?  Well, the top gets banged around each time
   you use it, so it's condition is a good indicator of the condition to
   the internal structure of the ski.  If the top sheet has tiny cracks that
   run across the ski near the shovel or tail, then care is urged.  However,
   compared with the cost of new equipment, used skis can be a real bargain.
   Another factor to consider is bindings.  Bindings last a long time.  They
   don't wear out easily.  If a ski is a couple of seasons old, not only are
   the chances good that the ski's still good, but that the bindings are good
   too.  A $250 pair of skis and a $100 set of bindings will cost about $150
   (depending on condition) a year or two later.  This is a big savings.
   The best thing to do is take along a friend skilled in such things when
   you go used-ski-shopping.

3) Paul sez:
   "Always get the top of the line, competition ski in any
   of  the  BIG NAME  brands. ...  Don't  let  the  fact  that you are
   an intermediate/beginner skier, sway you into buying  less  that  the
   competition  version.  Those  soft, forgiving skis will be good for
   one or two days at the outside, before you are ready for something
   better.  The intermediate versions WILL hold back your progress.
   Always get the Slalom version competition ski.  Forget Giant Slalom
   (GS),  or  any other version (unless you are in to specialty racing
   events). Slalom skis can be designed using side cut, flex  pattern,
   or both."

   Pardon me, but most of that is bullshit.  Pure and unadulterated.
   Let's take that one point at a time.
   a) You can go broke buying the top of the line competition ski.
      You can also hurt yourself.  Racing skis arr designed for
      racing.  If you aren't gonna race (or if you don't go real fast
      alot) DON'T BY SUPER HOT RACING SKIS.  They are designed to be
      just marginally stable, so they turn fast.  They take a great
      deal of effort and an experienced skiier to control.  They will
      screw up a beginner/intermediate because those people don't have
      as fine a control over their bodies (while skiing) as do experts/racers.
      I know this from my experience as a ski instructor.
   b) Who said that anything but racing skis were "soft, forgiving".
      And furthermore, why is this bad for the average skiier interested
      in advancing?  An unforgiving ski is just that, unforgiving.  A little
      too much edge and ZAP you're in a turn you hadn't intended to make.
   c) Contrary to Paul's assertion, a ski that's too unforgiving will hold
      you back more than a ski that's too forgiving.  An unforgiving ski
      will fustrate you more than anything.
   d) WHY, for the god's sake, DO WE ALWAYS HAVE TO BUY THE SLALOM SKI???
      Doesn't this depend on the type of terrain that you are planning to
      ski?  A slalom ski is cut to be less stable than a GS or a Downhill
      ski.  Why?  So it will turn faster!  Most intermediates I have known
      aren't looking to make a lot of short, fast snap turns.  It is
      considerably easier to make quick turns on a GS ski than it is to make
      a Slalom ski hold a line at high speed.  My feeling is that if there
      is a choice between an intermediate GS or S ski for an intermediate
      skiier, choose the GS ski.  Buy a S ski when you take up racing
      (which is fun, try it!).
   e) A slalom ski is made using BOTH side cut and flex, not one OR the
      other.

4) I agree with Paul's comments on bindings.  If you get used
   skis, go to a ski shop and have the tension set.  Better to be a tad
   too loose than a tad too tight.

That just about covers it.  Comments gladly accepted.

	Jeff Mizener / Tektronix Portables ADG / Beaverton OR

{ucbvax,decvax,purdue,uw-beaver,hplabs,allegra,ihnp4,ogcvax}!tektronix!tekadg!jm
ARPA:	tekadg!jm.tek@udel-relay 	CSnet:	tekadg!jm@tek

fitz@orca.UUCP (Bob Fitzsimmons) (11/29/84)

[]

I'm in agreement with Jeff Mizener on the purchasing of USED ski
equipment.  If careful in selecting used equipment one can acquire
high quality equipment at substantial savings, leaving extra dollars
to spend on those outrageously expensive lift tickets.

I usually advice new skiers to purchase good used skis of the forgiving
beginner/intermediate garden variety.  I'm in agreement again with
Jeff.  High performance skis will only make the learning process more
difficult and frustrating.

My advice is to start with an inexpensive set of equipment, then after
a year or two of skiing upgrade your equipment to higher performance
gear.  At this time you'll have a better understanding of ski equipment
and the type of skiing you'd like to do.  Purchase a SL or GS depending
on YOUR preference.   Be sure to demo the skis first!

Another note:  There are a large number of "hybrid" skis available from
all the major manufacturers.  These skis combine characteristics of both
SL and GS skis and tend to provide good-to-excellent performance in a
wider variety of conditions than either GS or SL.  Most of these skis
also perform very well for "recreational" racing.  You won't need a
high performance GS or SL unless you get seriously into racing.

"You can't get hurt in the air!"

- Bob Fitzsimmons, Tektronix, Inc. ECS, Wilsonville, Oregon

uucp:	{ucbvax,decvax,chico,pur-ee,ihnss}!teklabs!tekecs!fitz
		or {ucbvax,decvax,uw-beaver}!tektronix!tekecs!fitz
CSnet:	tekecs!fitz@tek
ARPA:	tekecs!fitz.tek@rand-relay

lowell@fluke.UUCP (Lowell Skoog) (12/03/84)

I would like to add some comments on ski selection, particularly on the notion
that an intermediate skier should buy top-of-the-line competition skis.

Ski manufacturers and ski technicians look to the top racers to develop more
capable equipment and more efficient techniques.  This is certainly justified,
since racers, due to the rigors of training and competition, are the best skiers
in the world.  It is reasonable to label competition skis "top of the line".

But you have to consider what these skis are designed for.  Alpine racing takes
place on smooth, very well-packed snow.  Competition skis perform marvelously
in these conditions.  In other conditions however, they are not so good.
In powder snow, slalom skis dive.  In moguls, slalom skis ride rough, while
giant slalom skis turn reluctantly.  In chunky, semi-packed snow, slalom skis
skitter, giant slalom skis go straight.  To say that a competition ski is
best for all conditions is like recommending a Ferrari for four-wheeling.

Skis are tools--to choose the right one, you have to decide what you want to use
it for.  If you walk into a ski shop and ask for advice based on your skiing
ability (e.g. "I am an expert") they may steer you toward racing skis.  (Racing
skis are macho.)  If, on the other hand, you describe your ability and what you
intend to use the ski for, you are more likely to get what you need.

Some manufacturers and ski areas hold "demo days" where you can try out the
latest skis for free.  Check into these in your area.

    Lowell Skoog	        (in real life)   Lowell Skoog
    Professional Ski 				 John Fluke Mfg. Co. Inc.
    Instructors of America, NW 			 Everett, Washington

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (12/06/84)

Lowell Skoog writes:
> ...on the notion that an intermediate skier should buy top-of-the-line
> competition skis... you have to consider what these skis are designed for.

Here, here!  (Switch to Nordic, please.)  I remember working in a ski shop.
We carried the (in)famous Kniessel Running Star klister ski, the ones that
take a twelve-ton press to make the bottoms touch.  Needless to say, not many
sold, most of those sold were returned, so they ended up on sale, very cheap.
One day three nuns walked in.  We did everything to try to change their mind.
The store manager (a devout Catholic) even offered them some nice
light-touring skis at cost, which would have put them about $45, still $10
more than the Kneissel liquidation price of $35.

I don't imagine those nuns used them more than once.

> To say that a competition ski is best for all conditions is like
> recommending a Ferrari for four-wheeling.  Skis are tools--to choose the
> right one, you have to decide what you want to use it for.

Very aptly put, and equally applicable to XC.

> (Racing skis are macho.)

...and so are telemark skis.  Many a person who fancies him/herself a hard-
core outdoorsperson asks me about buying telemark equipment.  When I find out
they actually only climb Mt. Adams every other year, I try to steer them
toward the heavy end of light-touring equipment, rather than full-blown
telemark stuff, which is heavy and unresponsive for any but it's intended use.

XC or downhill, special equipment is for those with lots of money who don't
mind having four or five different pair of skis, three pair of poles, etc.
Figure out what you do, and go for compromise if you do more than one type
of skiing, or commit to having more than one of everything!
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::