[net.rec.ski] Summary info on XC skis, bindings, shoes

ronb@tekred.UUCP (Ron Bremer ) (01/29/85)

<>
About a month ago I posted a request for opinions on cross country
equipment.  This is a summary of the replies.  For those interested
I placed my choice of equipment at the end of this article.

>From: tektronix!randyd@orca
>Date: Thu, 17 Jan 85 07:59:20 PST
>
>Carla and I have had Trak no-wax (ralley) skis for a number of years
>and been quite happy with them.  The best advice is to try before you
>buy.  The bindings are "Troll" bindings.  I would try to get some simple
>all-metal bindings,  they are easier to repair in the field.
>Usually carring an extra bail takes care of most possible problems
>(we have never had one break).  I am totally un-impressed with
>some of the newer all-plastic bindings.
>

>From: tektronix!jans@mako
>Date: Thu, 17 Jan 85 09:45:58 PST
>
>	I would strongly suggest Soloman bindings with a compatible boot.
>The SNS (Soloman Nordic System) has revolutionized XC ski bindings.  The flex
>is in the binding, not the boot, so boots last longer.  If you're a big,
>strong guy (I weigh 190) a couple hard twisting falls will destroy many
>three-pin boots.  Soloman has licensed SNS to many boot makers, so there is
>a wide variety available.  I use Soloman SR-90 boots for cruising around
>and Merrill GoreTex boots for telemarking, both with the same bindings!
>
>	As for skis and poles, the brand is not as important as the type.
>You probably should look for a somewhat wide ski if you break track (52mm at
>the waist will do) and probably want sidecut. (as opposed to skis which have
>parrellel sides)  If you don't use groomed trails, avoid the "butterfly
>basket" poles; if you break track often, get the biggest basket you can buy.
>If you will be telemarking, get some cheap, but properly fitted downhill
>poles.
>
>	Last, a biased opinion...  Take some lessons!  (I'm a Certified
>Instructor working for Mirror Mountain in the Mt. Hood area.)  Nothing is
>worse than wanting to learn some new technique and finding out you have to
>unlearn three bad habits first!  A lesson-practice regimen is best, with
>perhaps four lessons a season (assuming you spend the rest of the season
>skiing) optimal.

>From: rsg@cbscc.UUCP (Bob Garmise)
>Date: Fri, 18-Jan-85 07:03:59 PST
>
>Skis: I own waxless and waxable. I prefer waxable if the weather is fairly
>      constant. Waxless is good for starters but typically does not glide
>      well. You may find yourself walking much of the way and not skiing.
>    - Don't get racing xc skis. These are narrower than regular xc skis and
>      are very difficult to control for beginners.
>    - When you stand with both feet on the skis, you should be able to slip
>      a playing card under the ski. It's all in the camber...too much and you
>      glide even on the backstroke...too little and you grip all the time.
>    - Brands are moderately different, but not for the beginner. Fischer,
>      Rossignol, Trak, etc. are all well known, as are others. Look for camber
>      first and color, brand name, etc. next. In other words, don't get an off
>      brand, but brand is not as critical here for beginners as it might be in
>      downhill skiing.
> [...]
The hardest decision for me was the binding.  I tried Salamon bindings (step-in
and manual) onn many rental skis and found the lateral support was too weak and
my heel would easily slip off the ski.  It is probably unfair to blame these
on the binding, because I am sure a stiffer boot would have helped immensely.
I rented the Trak step-in binding and found it had most of the benefits of the
Salamon binding with noticeably better lateral support.  The sole on the Trak
boot was much stiffer than the sole on the Salamon boot.  My wife tried a three
pin binding and after a slight adjustment period she thought they were fine.
The rental shop did not have my size in a 3 pin binding, so I never tried it.
After talking to a rental shop the is using the Trak binding system on their
rentals, I decided on the Trak system.  On this one I am really sticking out
my neck, they are plastic, Trak is the only manufacture of the shoes, and this
is their first year of production.  So far we have had no problems and with my
style of skiing (falling) I give bindings a good workout.

The choice of skis was much easier.  We do a lot of off track and "ill defined"
track skiing and so I wanted a ski with a good sidecut, but one that would
also do well in a good track.  My wife and I rented Trak Novas and were very
impressed by their performance, but we wanted a little more sidecut.  We decided
on the Trak Mariah which is much like a Nova but more sidecut.  This ski is
performing better than we expected and we are very happy with them.

The poles are metal Trak poles of the proper length.  We have no gripes with
the poles.

The boots are (of course) Trak.  They fit my wife and I very well which
influenced our choice of bindings.  They are above the ankle and provide good
support.  The heel has a "V" groove if you want to use that type of heel plate.

XC skiing is a great wintertime family sport and my family and I are enjoying
the snow instead of dreading it.  I sure am glad that good XC trails are only
1/2 hour away.

Thanks to all that replied.  If my bindings break I will let you know and you
can all say "I told you so!".

Ron Bremer
..!tektronix!tekred!ronb