[net.rec.ski] Powder Skiing Methods

harold@hp-pcd.UUCP (harold) (03/15/85)

While I'm not the greatest powder skier in the world, I did
grow up in Utah, skiing Snowbird, Alta, ParK City, etc.

When skiing any type of surface, there are two styles; a) forward
pressure on the ski tips that allows you to carve your turns, and
b) leaning back, which allows you to "skid" or slide your turns.
It is generally accepted that method (a) is the best method- it
gives you more control as you ski and I have found that it is
easier on the body.

The mistake many people make when they are faced with three feet (or
more) of powder is to "lean back" to get their ski tips up.  This is
*NOT* the best way to ski powder!  True, you cannot apply as much
forward pressure on your tips as you do when skiing packed; just as you
don't apply as much when skiing soft-pack versus ice.  However, the
principle of carving your turns still applies.

The key is to distribute your weight evenly on your skiis.  Apply
slight forward pressure on the ski tips, and have fun!  Don't worry
if you never see your ski tips- it isn't necessary if you are carving
your turns properly.  If you have trouble with your ski tips
wandering in powder, it is guaranteed that you aren't carving
your truns enough- you're "leaning back"!

I *LOVE* skiing three+ feet of new powder down a *STEEP* slope.  There's
nothing in the world like that feeling!  But, alas, I now live in Oregon
and have yet to learn how to ski on rain.......

Harold Noyes
!hplabs!hp-pcd!harold

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (03/18/85)

In article <42600006@hp-pcd.UUCP> harold@hp-pcd.UUCP (harold) writes:

>When skiing any type of surface, there are two styles; a) forward
>pressure on the ski tips that allows you to carve your turns, and
>b) leaning back, which allows you to "skid" or slide your turns.
>It is generally accepted that method (a) is the best method- it
>gives you more control as you ski and I have found that it is
>easier on the body.
>
>The mistake many people make when they are faced with three feet (or
>more) of powder is to "lean back" to get their ski tips up.  This is
>*NOT* the best way to ski powder!  True, you cannot apply as much
>forward pressure on your tips as you do when skiing packed; just as you
>don't apply as much when skiing soft-pack versus ice.  However, the
>principle of carving your turns still applies.

I agree that one should lean slightly forward when skiing powder, as
long as it is dry.  However, some people call any unpacked snow
"powder", even though it is wet and heavy, which, in California, is
more often called "Sierra Cement".  For this wet, unpacked snow, it is
suicide to lean forward; it is difficult to turn and knee injuries are
likely.  The only safe way to ski the wetter stuff is to lean back and
feel your thighs burn!
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken