[net.rec.ski] On Crashing and Burning

lowell@fluke.UUCP (Lowell Skoog) (03/19/85)

Statistics:  So far this year (through February), there have been
    twenty-nine fatalities at ski areas in the United States.  Of these,
    two were avalanche-related.  Eight were outside area boundaries.  The
    rest were in-area collisions.  In half of these, the skier hit a fixed
    object like a tree or a lift tower.  In the other half, two skiers
    collided.

Editorial:  Due to equipment improvements, many of the injuries
    traditionally associated with skiing have been reduced.  Boot-top
    fractures, twisted joints, and ski whiplashes are less common than
    they used to be.  Collisions, on the other hand, have increased.

    To some extent, the newer equipment is to blame.  With good boots,
    reliable bindings, and ski brakes, inexperienced skiers are tempted
    to ski faster than they should.  This is only part of the problem
    however.  Experienced skiers have been involved in many crashes.

    The biggest contributor is trail grooming.  In the last few years,
    ski areas have become much more thorough and skillful at trail
    maintenance.  Better skiing is the result, but unfortunately, skier
    attitudes have not kept pace with the change.  People are skiing
    faster than ever before.  At high speeds, even the best skiers
    cannot avoid unexpected obstacles.

    If you want to keep yourself and your friends from getting hurt, if
    you want to keep insurance rates from driving lift prices even higher,
    use some common sense:

    o   Ski so that you can avoid obstacles, both expected and unexpected.
	Demand that other skiers do the same.  Report offenders to the ski
	patrol, and encourage the patrol to pull their tickets.

    o   If you insist on skiing faster than you can control, stay away
	from other people.  Stick to runs reserved for fast skiing.
	Wait for the run to clear.  Ski the sides.  Have a friend act as
	a spotter on jumps, rolls, and blind corners.  Remember that
	speed gives you no rights.  Everyone downhill of you has the
	right of way.  Don't take anyone with you when you crash.

    Skiing gives a feeling a speed and exhilaration like no other sport.
    Unfortuately, the ignorance and/or arrogance of some skiers threatens
    to spoil this.

					Lowell Skoog, PSIA-NW
					Seattle, Washington

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (03/21/85)

a timely article, i just got out of my casts [has it been that long?].
as one who hit a tree, let me add, you don't have to travel fast
to get cremed by a tree.  i was travelling less than 10 mph in moderately
difficult, but tight terrain, and am an experienced tree skier.  you don't
have protection around you like a car, seat belts, and so on.

on the other hand, if you want to be perfectly safe, do not ski.
remove any doubt about possibly getting injured: don't ski, it's will say
you pain, and anybody you run into [i think of my collisions as a beginner
into people: agwh!].  i see in the news, two major accidents: the goldminer's
daughter blew up [not directly related to skiing, but i work there one
christmas season] and a big avalanche at park city.

as for speed, i don't like speed, and don't ski fast.  you cannot ski
fast in trees, or avalanche terrain [it is not possible to out ski
an avalanche, only to the side].  extreme skiing requires a one turn at a
time attitude.  in the tahoe region they have had at least two fatalities
due to high speed collisions, and they recently enacted a hit-and-run
skiers law which is being used to prosecute two people right now.
my girlfriend was hit by a hit-and-run, and i'd clobber the guy who
did it if i could find him.

perhaps the problem is ski resorts, perhaps we should only have cross
country skiing?

--eugene miya

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (03/23/85)

Why should cross-country enthusiasts have to put up with the
downhill morons. Your suggestion of keeping resorts and
converting to cross-country does not sit well with me.
Downhill ski resorts are a lot like mental hospitals -
all the sick-os are concentrated in one area.

Oh give me a mobile home, where the buffalo roam...

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (03/23/85)

Plant big trees on the ski runs? sounds great!

We could have a big weenie roast when they burn down the condos!!

Our forests are not amusement parks for rich Texans!

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (03/23/85)

> perhaps the problem [hit and run skiing] is ski resorts, perhaps we
> should only have cross country skiing?
>
> --eugene miya

In my experience, the problem is *much* more prevalent in California
than elsewhere.  In February, I had the pleasure to ski at Sun
Valley, Idaho for a week.  There, as well as in Europe where I
went skiing two years ago, people stayed within their ability.
I've also skied in Colorado and Utah, but there only for single
days.

Maybe the problem is that there are too many "kids" who get to ski
here.  The large Bay Area population that feeds the Tahoe area
on weekends makes it relatively easy for less mature skiers to
get to the slopes.  The less accessable resorts tend to attract
only more serious skiers - not the ones who get to ski for
one or two weekends a year and still want to prove that they can
ski the steepest, most difficult slope on the mountain.

I've long believed that there were really only two ways that
skiers got hurt - by skiing when too tired or skiing slopes that
are more difficult than ability allows.  It seems that I'll have
take a more liberal view of this to include getting clobbered
by other skiers who are either too tired or skiing over their
heads.  (At least, I believe, this accounts for something like
95% of injuries.  There are times when good skiers in good
shape get hurt, too.  Sometimes, there are hazards that can't
be seen.  Skiing isn't perfectly safe in the best of all possible
worlds.)

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

seb@ahutb.UUCP (s.e.badian) (03/25/85)

REFERENCES:  <938@vax1.fluke.UUCP>, <886@ames.UUCP>

	Skiers and ski areas are both responsible for fast-skiing.
Now that most areas are well-groomed(like a snow carpet) skiers get
this feeling they can ski real fast. You won't get caught in the
snow, and there aren't any bumps to contend with. And skiers take
advantage of this. I'll be the first to admit that I ski fast. I
like the speed. But I won't ski fast if there are lots of people
around. In fact, I'm almost too terrified to ski when there are lots
of people around. I know my limits, but how about all of them!
	I also think it is unfair to blame just the fast skier. Some-
times moving at all is too fast. How about people that stop in
the middle of narrow trails? People who ski runs that are too difficult
for them so they are all piled up all over the slope? People who
stop in a blind spot? These people are dangerous too. Maybe people
don't die, but it certainly diminishes the skiing experience to have
to contend with people like that.
	All skiers have to be more responsible. That's all there is
to it.

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!hocsp!ahutb!seb

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (03/25/85)

In article <886@ames.UUCP> eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>perhaps the problem is ski resorts, perhaps we should only have cross
>country skiing?

Keep the resorts, but only allow cross-country skiis!  That usually slows
people down a bit, and downhillers find it puts safe, moderate-speed
excitement back into intermediate slopes!

If it ain't worth telemarking,		O_\
	it ain't worth skiing.		O /
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

haas@utah-gr.UUCP (Walt Haas) (03/25/85)

Reckless skiing is unfortunately not confined to California.
The other day I was giving a friend a beginner lesson on the
Albion [read "baby"] run at Alta when some jerk yelled "Look
out!" and zoomed between us.  He was totally out of control.
I caught up with him and read him the riot act.  Alta has more
casualties on the Albion run than anywhere else, and I think
a lot of it is collisions - of course some of it is poor
physical condition and bindings adjusted wrong.  I can only
recall once in recent years that somebody did something like
that to me on a reasonably difficult run.

There are, unfortunately, ways for good skiers to get hurt.
One friend was on STH at Snowbird when he blew out of his skis-
he slid down about 40 feet and stopped against a tree, with a
broken leg as the result.

It /is/ occasionally possible to ski an avalanche.
I have a series of slides of Ed LaChappelle skiing in an
avalanche, which I use in the avalanche course I teach for
the Wasatch Mountain Club.  I also have a home movie of
Wayne Slagle attempting to do the same thing, and failing.

Incidentally, both of the avalanche fatalities here this
winter were caused by somebody skiing into an area clearly
posted CLOSED by the local ski patrol.  There were numerous
skiers caught in avalanches, both within and outside the
various resorts, that were rescued alive.  This is a
satisfying observation to me, since it implies that the
serious skiers are more knowledgeable and better prepared
than they used to be, so the fatal accidents are caused
by the small percentage of complete assholes, which seems
to be an unalterable constant.

Regards  -- Walt Haas

ARPA:  Haas@Utah-20
uucp:  ...{decvax | ihnp4 | seismo}!utah-cs!haas

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (03/29/85)

> In article <886@ames.UUCP> eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
> >perhaps the problem is ski resorts, perhaps we should only have cross
> >country skiing?
> >
> Keep the resorts, but only allow cross-country skiis!  That usually slows
> people down a bit, and downhillers find it puts safe, moderate-speed
> excitement back into intermediate slopes!
>
> If it ain't worth telemarking,		O_\
> 	it ain't worth skiing.		O /
> --
> :::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
> :::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

Oh, sorry, misinterpretation!  I meant, plant big trees on all ski runs,
let them return to a natural state, and we can all X-C. ;-)

--eugene