[net.rec.ski] Ski goggles

mk@linus.UUCP (Mike Kaplan) (09/13/85)

Can anyone give some advice on ski goggles?  I am in the market for a pair
and the different color lenses have me confused.  Some people swear by gray
lenses, while others like the amber colored ones.  Then there are green lenses,
orange lenses, phototropic lenses, polarizing lenses, etc.....
Also, how do Bolle, Carrerra, Scott compare?  Are any better made than the
others?

Thanks,

Mike Kaplan
Mitre Corp., MA

btb@mtuxo.UUCP (Bruce Burger) (09/17/85)

Good to see so much traffic in net.rec.ski!

> Can anyone give some advice on ski goggles?

Re color, each is best for a specific condition (snow, sun,
shadows, etc.).   I was told that rose is best all-around and I am
very happy with mine.

But most important, get double-lensed goggles!  They are much less
likely to fog than single-lensed (which may have something to do
with the fact that the temperature gradient is half as much across
each???).  All I know is mine never fog up, even when other
people's single-lensed goggles do.

--Bruce Burger     AT&T Information Systems     Freehold, NJ
  {...ihnp4!}mtuxo!btb

malcolm@utcsri.UUCP (Malcolm MacPhail) (09/18/85)

   Can anybody tell me about either:
       Goggles that fit over glasses, or
       Prescription goggles.

I do not think I should ski blind (though others do), so if I want goggles
these are my choices.  I would like to know which you think is better and
why.  Of course if you can think of a good alternative, please let me know.

--
				Malcolm MacPhail,
				Department of Computer Science,

UUCP:  {linus,ihnp4,allegra,floyd,utzoo,cornell,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!malcolm
CSNET: malcolm@Toronto
ARPA:  malcolm%Toronto@CSNet-Relay
--

hammond@steinmetz.UUCP (steve hammond) (09/19/85)

> > Can anyone give some advice on ski goggles?

I am *real* happy with a pair of Scott goggles that i
have.  they have amber shaded double lenses.

--
  Steve Hammond
   arpa: hammond@ge-crd

	the deepest  personal  defeat suffered by human beings is
	constitued by the difference between what one was capable
	of becoming and what one has in fact become.
					(a. montagu)

gml@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gregory M Lobdell) (09/19/85)

> Can anyone give some advice on ski goggles?

I too vote very strongly for double lensed goggles.  If you sweat a
lot like I do when I ski, you may still want to get some no-fog
materiel.  The stuff that comes with Smith goggles isn't very good.
I picked up a block of waxy stuff that smells like moth balls that
works great.  The brand name was Monte Cristo but I'm sure that
changes from place to place.

On color, I have rose and yellow.  The rose is for bright, high
contrast conditions.  The eye is most sensitive to certain
wavelengths in the yellow region.  The yellow lens enhances these to
increase visibility in dim, low contrast conditions.  Thus rose for
sun, or high clouds, yellow for night and fog.

Gregg Lobdell

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (09/19/85)

>    Can anybody tell me about either:
>        Goggles that fit over glasses, or
>        Prescription goggles.

Bausch and Lomb make gogles that should fit over most glasses, but they are
expensive.

If your glasses aren't too big, some regular goggles might fit over them;
go to a ski shop and try them over your glasses. I use regular goggles
over my glasses whenever skiing--but I have smallish glasses.  One problem:
the glasses fog up sometimes.  Make sure you get goggles that provide good
ventalation BEHIND the lenses of the goggles.  I only have a problem when it
is snowing/raining/very damp and I stop for a while.  Using an anti-fog cloth
on the glasses helps withthem fogging, but the coating on the lens does degrade
visibility somewhat.

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (09/21/85)

In article <971@mtuxo.UUCP> btb@mtuxo.UUCP (Bruce Burger) writes:
>Good to see so much traffic in net.rec.ski!
>
>> Can anyone give some advice on ski goggles?
>
>Re color, each is best for a specific condition (snow, sun,
>shadows, etc.).   I was told that rose is best all-around and I am
>very happy with mine.

Some goggle lenses are changable in the field and you can buy the extra
lenses in different colors and try them all.

Goggles usually come in two "sizes":  One type for people that wear glasses
(these are larger so that they fit over your glasses) and regular for those
that do not wear glasses.  The brands I have looked at in the past have
labeled the "over-glasses" type with an 'X' (I don't know why).

>But most important, get double-lensed goggles!  They are much less
>likely to fog than single-lensed (which may have something to do
>with the fact that the temperature gradient is half as much across
>each???).  All I know is mine never fog up, even when other
>people's single-lensed goggles do.
>
>--Bruce Burger     AT&T Information Systems     Freehold, NJ
>  {...ihnp4!}mtuxo!btb

There have been many attempts to produce goggles that do not fog.  Even the
double-lensed types will fog on very humid days.  I have seen one pair that
has a built-in fan inside to keep them from fogging.  Another pair I saw
were made of special plastic that heats up (using battery power) to keep them
from fogging.  My advice is to forget these and buy the regular goggles and
just keep a dry cloth with you to wipe them off.  A special wax is sold to
be applied to the inside of the goggle lens to keep the fog away.  I find
that this stuff works pretty well, but the goggle makers are now putting
some kind of coating on the inside of the lens and they tell you not to
apply this stuff to your goggle lenses.  I do and I haven't had any trouble.

I always have more than one pair of goggles in my ski bag since I have
broken so many of them in the past in the middle of the day of skiing which
forced me to ski without any cover over my eyes for the rest of the day
(arrgh!).  The lenses can be very brittle after they get cold and a
small drop from a seat bench is all that is needed to crack the lens in two.
--
                  Al Schwartz
                  Pacesetter Systems, Inc.,  Sylmar, CA

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (09/21/85)

>    Can anybody tell me about either:
>        Goggles that fit over glasses, or
>        Prescription goggles.

I have an older pair of Smith OTG IIs that nearly fit over my rather
large frames.  I've recently bought two pair of Carrera goggles that
fit very comfortably, but the lens is designed in such a way that the
front separates from the side - they're two pieces glued together -
much too easily.

The feature of the Carreras - aside from their size - that made them
comfortable is a gap in the foam where the temples of the glasses go.
The Smiths that I have don't have that gap, but I've seen some goggles
other than the Carreras - maybe including newer Smiths - that have it.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

tj@utcs.uucp (tj) (09/25/85)

I have used glasses and goggles before and stopped because of fogging. Last year I got
a pair of contact lenses I use for sports. Mostly hockey and squash. I tried
them with goggles skiing and let me tell you they are great. I highly recommend that
approach over glasses and goggles or prescription goggles.
t.jones