[net.rec.ski] Skiing New England

lgm521@ihlpg.UUCP (McGuire) (09/17/85)

After skiing Colorado and Utah the past few years, we would
like to try the New England area this winter.

Could  anyone give me advice on where to ski & stay.  Also,
what time of year would you recommend to avoid crowds, find
good  conditions, and good weather.  Several members of our
group are very good skiers, so would  like to chose an area
with enough challenge for them.

I have heard quite a bit about Killington (probably because
of their advertising budget). Is this the best area, or are
there others you feel are better.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks Much!

Larry McGuire

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (09/18/85)

> After skiing Colorado and Utah the past few years, we would
> like to try the New England area this winter.
>
> Larry McGuire

From your e-mail address, you seem to be from the Chicago area.  Unless
you are a lover of ice, damp cold air (which feels lots colder than dry
cold air) and crowds, I would stick to Western skiing.  As an Easterner
who grew up on Vermont skiing and who has gone skiing out west for
at least one week per year for the last ten years, I would take western
skiing hands down over eastern skiing every time if they were about the
same cost and effort (which they are for you).  Don't get me wrong, I
still ski Vermont 3-5 weekends per year (depending on snow conditions),
and enjoy it immensely, but ANY of the CO/UT/WY/MN areas I've been to are
much better than ALL of the VT areas.

If you do choose to come anyway (worth doing if you can arrange a
company paid trip to BTL in NJ), here are some suggestions:

The further north (and farther from NYC), the better the crowds.

For challenging trails, try Stowe, Killington, Sugarbush.  Mt. Snow has
two toughies (debated by some). Stratton hasa  none (again, debatable).
These are the five biggest in VT, but are mid-size by western standards;
Some of the smaller VT areas have a little challenging terrain, and shorter
lift lines, but you might get bored after a few days.  (I often spend a
two day weekend at a smaller area, such as Pico to beat the weekend crowds.)

If the snow is good, there are long lines on weekends everywhere.  Weekdays
are somewhat better; Mon and Fri are variable.  Holiday weeks are the
worst.

Killington is a zoo--I avoid it.  This is purely personal opinion; some
of my friends swear by Killington.  I swear at it.

If you've never skied eastern hardpack, boilerplate and ice, start with
easier trails.  It's harder than it looks, and I've seen some really
good western skiers unable to handle the steep, icy trails.

Snow conditions are variable all year long.  I've had great fresh snow
skiing on Thanksgiving, and other years nothing natural until January.
Major skiu areas have snow-making, but they need help from nature to have
enough terrain in good shape to handle crowds; also, the man-made snow
tends to ice up more easily than natural snow.  I personally will not
commit to skiing in VT until a few days before I go--too risky.

Good skiing, wherever you decide to go.

bob@cadsys.UUCP (Bob Henig) (09/24/85)

In article <1273@ihlpg.UUCP> lgm521@ihlpg.UUCP (McGuire) writes:

>After skiing Colorado and Utah the past few years, we would
>like to try the New England area this winter.

Larry,
   I spent the first 14 years of my skiing career on the east coast.
Unless you are dieing to ski on ice or you think you are very lucky my
advice is stay west. The conditions on the east coast are variable at
best. By west coast standards there are good conditions only once or
twice a year but east coaster will claim there are more.

   If you must go I recomend Stowe, Killington if you don't mind the
obnoxious people, and my favorite Mad River Glen. Mad River is a small
area and does not usaly have lines when other places do. The problem is
they don't make snow so you have to rely on mother nature. Mad River is
good for about two or three days and is real challanging. If you have
intermidate skiers with you send then to Sugar Bush North just up the
street. Stay at an inn called the Snugery it is real homey and when I
was there two years ago it was cheap.

If you make it to Stowe ski the front four and the glades. Don't miss a
run called Starr it tell the whole story about east coast skiing, cold,
icey, steep, and narrow.

Good luck,
Bob.

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (10/08/85)

In article <159@cadsys.UUCP> bob@cadsys.UUCP (Bob Henig) writes:
>In article <1273@ihlpg.UUCP> lgm521@ihlpg.UUCP (McGuire) writes:
>>
>>After skiing Colorado and Utah the past few years, we would
>>like to try the New England area this winter.
>>

>Larry,
>   I spent the first 14 years of my skiing career on the east coast.
>Unless you are dieing to ski on ice or you think you are very lucky my
>advice is stay west. The conditions on the east coast are variable at
>best. By west coast standards there are good conditions only once or
>twice a year but east coaster will claim there are more.

  But ice skiing is fun!  Especially try "surfing" down the slope--
of course there's the inevitable wipe-out...

                                                 Clare