[net.rec.ski] Skiing New England - relying on Mother Nature

bandy@lll-crg.UUCP (Andrew Scott Beals) (09/27/85)

Last winter was *horrible* in New Hampshire - I've seen better skiing
in Maryland. Some of the areas were claiming 6-30 inches of base ..
which looked more like 6-30 inches of grass to me.

And to make it worse, they don't make snow for us poor xc-types.
--
Got a gal in Baltimore, li'l Liza Jane, She's the one that I adore,
li'l Liza Jane.

andy beals, bandy@lll-crg.arpa, {seismo,sun,gymble,mordor,dual}!lll-crg!bandy

mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (10/04/85)

> Last winter was *horrible* in New Hampshire - I've seen better skiing
> in Maryland. Some of the areas were claiming 6-30 inches of base ..
> which looked more like 6-30 inches of grass to me.
>
> And to make it worse, they don't make snow for us poor xc-types.
> --
> Got a gal in Baltimore, li'l Liza Jane, She's the one that I adore,
> li'l Liza Jane.
>
> andy beals, bandy@lll-crg.arpa, {seismo,sun,gymble,mordor,dual}!lll-crg!bandy

Ah, but they do make snow for X/C Skiers at Mt. VanHovenburg near
Lake Placid, NY, they did it for the 1980 Winter Olympics, and they
still do once in a while, although usually only for competitions, but
if you go the week after competitions, it's great!
--
                                        =======
     Mikel Manitius                   ==----=====    AT&T

jans@orca.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (10/08/85)

In article <134@codas.UUCP> mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) writes:
>> And to make it worse, they don't make snow for us poor xc-types.
>
>Ah, but they do make snow for X/C Skiers at Mt. VanHovenburg near
>Lake Placid, NY, they did it for the 1980 Winter Olympics, and they
>still do once in a while, although usually only for competitions, but
>if you go the week after competitions, it's great!

Yeah, great compared to mud skiing, but not much else!  I worked at the
`80 games, and had plenty of man-made-snow xc skiing.  Lippo's Loop, the
beginners' trail that has about 5 feet of elevation change over 3k was
so fast...  At first, I thought, "Gee, this is great!" but as I came to
the "hill" and realized that the "snow" I was on was hard as a rock and
there were real rocks just off the edge of the snow, I quickly lost my
nerve.

Man-made-snow (a.k.a. chopped ice) for xc is only really good at warmer,
slower temperatures, or as a base for some natural snow.  Given a choice
of cold m-m-s or ice skating, well, let's just say use the proper tools
and enjoy the frozen lakes!
--
:::::: Artificial   Intelligence   Machines   ---   Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-405	(w)503/685-2956 ::::::