[net.rec.ski] Information requested

jimmy@scgvaxd.UUCP (J A Raisanen) (10/15/85)

Not being the greatest or most dedicated skier in the world (even though
being Finnish gave me a headstart!!!! :*) ) I bought used skis this
summer in anticipation of more trips to the higher elevations:

My question is:

I have the `old' side closing type bindings (ignorance impedes my
terminology) and I haven't seen those for a while (even on rentals)
so I am wondering if the new bindings are safer, etc.  Also, if I am
faced with the choice (I bought the boots separately):  Should I have
the bindings changed to the new style?  Can they put the metal clips
on the boots for my bindings?  Which of the above would be better?
How much can I expect to pay for this transgression?  Does
anybody have recommendations for a place to take them in LA?

Many Thanks in Advance!

Jim Raisanen - The Flying Finn (Face-first that is!!!)

rosen@ucbvax.ARPA (Rob Rosen) (10/17/85)

In article <428@scgvaxd.UUCP> jimmy@scgvaxd.UUCP writes:
>My question is:
>
>I have the `old' side closing type bindings (ignorance impedes my
>terminology) and I haven't seen those for a while (even on rentals)
>so I am wondering if the new bindings are safer, etc. ...
>Jim Raisanen - The Flying Finn (Face-first that is!!!)

    Using bindings that are less than four years old is a very dangerous
practice (in my humble opinion).  Spending the $100 or so for a decent set
is worth the price; bindings are the most critical point in ski safety.
Back in 1977 I broke my arm in three places because my Salomon 444's didn't
release properly; at that time, 444's were considered to be just a little
behind in binding technology.  Think of it this way: spend $100 now on
a decent set (e.g.  Salomon 636 or Tyrolia 290) or spend ~$1000 in
hospital bills and lost work time later.

good luck,
--

		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen