[net.rec.ski] Slalom Skis

bruce@msunix.UUCP (Bruce Forsland) (10/08/85)

I am going to replace my K2 710s and am looking at another pair of
K2's,or a PRE 1600sp or a Atomic Team Bionic SL.  Does anyone have first
hand knowledge of how any of these skis perform in bumps, powder, crud,
ice, etc.?

			Bruce Forsland
			LMSC Mechanisms & Servos
			..ucbvax!amdcad!cae780!leadsv!msunix!bruce

gml@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gregory M Lobdell) (10/14/85)

> I am going to replace my K2 710s

No, don't do it!!!  Oops, excuse me.  It's just that I own a pair of
these and am in love with them.  I think that K2 has continued to
make the 710 on various styles, 710-FO, etc.  I love my pair for
their complete responsiveness in the turns and in the bumps.  No
other pair of skis that I have skied on have been so resposive.
Give them a little edge and you turn.  Sure, they're not as
forgiving as your recreational ski, but they aren't recreational
skis.  And they have enough stiffness to hold on ice and hard pack
for those carving turns.  OK, enough.

Gregg Lobdell
>> no graphics or silliness here <<

stirling@fortune.UUCP (Patrick Stirling) (10/15/85)

SKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKISKI!

I have a pair of Atomic ARC SL (200cm). I LOVE them! Provided I can stay
on top of them they are very fast and responsive. I find that once I get
tired they tend to run away with me, though.  I would say they're a bit
stiff for powder, but so far I've managed OK with them - not that we
get much powder here in CA! For bumps, groomed, and any steep stuff
they are fine - but don't forget that they are slalom, not GS, and so
like short turns more than long radius ones. I have had some near-
religious experiences with effortless rebounded short-swing turns
on them! As you might anticipate, I recommend them highly!

patrick

peterch@tekig4.UUCP (Peter Chao) (10/22/85)

In article <287@ssc-vax.UUCP> gml@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gregory M Lobdell) writes:
>> I am going to replace my K2 710s
>
>No, don't do it!!!  Oops, excuse me.  It's just that I own a pair of
>these and am in love with them.  I think that K2 has continued to
>make the 710 on various styles, 710-FO, etc.  I love my pair for
>their complete responsiveness in the turns and in the bumps.  No
>other pair of skis that I have skied on have been so resposive.
>Give them a little edge and you turn.  Sure, they're not as
>forgiving as your recreational ski, but they aren't recreational
>skis.  And they have enough stiffness to hold on ice and hard pack
>for those carving turns.  OK, enough.
>
>Gregg Lobdell
>>> no graphics or silliness here <<

Well, here's a different opinion:

I've got two boys on a ski team.  One of them used to race on K2's, using
710 for slalom and 810 for GS.  Both pair de-laminated within one
season.  Considering he's a kid racer weighing only 90 pounds.  As for
performance, the Rossignol 4S and 3G he's skiing on now outdo his friends'
K2 anytime (and I didn't see many K2's used by his teammates.)

I myself used to ski on K2, too.  I've now switched to Rossignal also.
I found that Rossi GS skis (3G or SMS) rather comfortable for all around
skiing as well as running Master's GS courses.  (4S seems to be a bit
"unpredictable" for me, though.)