[net.rec.ski] Bindings, comments on how to set.

patch@nsc-pdc.UUCP (Pat Chewning) (11/04/85)

Rob Rosen (rosen@ucbvax) writes:

> Using bindings that are less than four years old is a very dangerous
> practice... Back in 1977 I broke my arm in three places because my
> Salomon 444's didn't release properly...

Surely Rob meant that he broke his LEG, not his arm.  It would be
unreasonable to expect bindings to offer any protection to any part of the
body except the legs.  Unless of course Rob skis on his hands, which I would
like to see.

In a more serious vein, I have these comments on the current discussions of
bindings:

	1)  References to Solomon bindings being unsafe:  Back when I
	started skiing, virtually everyone who was anyone was using Marker
	Simplex toe bindings with Marker Rotomat heels.  (The ones with two
	springs that "exploded" to release.)  The rest of us had to be
	content with Marker Simplex Toes and cable (that's right, CABLE)
	heels.  I can't remember when it was, but all of a sudden everyone
	started looking at my bindings and saying "You're skiing on those
	deathtraps?."   This was about the same time that people started
	skiing on the Salomon bindings (the first popular styles, the 404,
	444, 505, 555 types).  Now I hear that these are causing a lot of
	leg injuries.

	Now for my theory:  I believe that the reason you saw a lot of
	people with broken legs ~7 years ago with Marker bindings, and more
	recently with Salomon is because MORE PEOPLE WERE USING THOSE KINDS
	OF BINDINGS.  Not because of any lack of safety in the bindings.

	2)  My personal preference is for either Look bindings or the new
	Solomon styles (the 637, 737? etc) which are a copy of the Look
	design.  One binding that always did look interesting to me were the
	new Marker M44 styles, just because they had a unique method of
	adjustment.  (You adjusted the lever arm that a spring acted on, not
	the spring tension.)

	3)  Adjustments:  The most important adjustments of the
	bindings are not the force settings for release, but all of the
	other adjustments that interface the binding to the boot.  These
	adjustments probably are best made by a reputable ski shop, but can
	be made correctly by any 8th grader who can read the instructions and
	has a drill and a screwdriver.  (I have been mounting my own
	bindings since about 7th grade, ever since a large sporting goods
	store in Denver mounted some bindings on my new skis and the screws
	were sticking out the bottom of the ski!  They actually tried to give
	them to me that way!)

	Among these important adjustments are:
		A)  Heel-Toe location:  usually set correctly by finding the
		centerline of the ski, the marking on the ski where the ball
		of the foot should be, and using the cardboard templates
		that come with the bindings.  (The old Marker Rotomats had
		left and right templates because there were left and right
		heel units.)

		B)  Forward pressure:  Usually there is a range indicator on
		the heel unit because it provides the forward pressure.
		This must be set right for the heel-toe units to work
		correctly.  It is usually the only spring that is NOT
		adjustable without actually moving the heel piece forward or
		aft, therefore it is the spring that determines the bindings
		"use" range.  (The weight and ability of the skier using the
		binding.)

		C)  Toe piece height:  Usually set correctly so that a
		credit card can be slipped between the sole and the AFD
		(anti friction device.)  Use the credit card as a feeler
		gage and adjust downward until friction is felt, then back
		off a little.

		D)  Toe piece "arms":  Usually set so that the front toe of the
		boot "just" touches the AFD insert in the binding.
		They adjust the width of the toepiece grip, and should be
		adjusted symetrically, so that either boot can be used in either
		binding.  This is only possible if both boots are the same
		size and shape right where the bindings touch.  (The whole
		purpose of the DIN standards on boot sole shape and size.)

	4)  Finally, the release adjustments:

		A)  If the shop adjusts them, make a note of the settings
		and then do the following:

		B)  The first step is to put BOTH boots on to get ready to
		do the "living room floor release test".  (Using one boot
		only will set you up for a John Zagnoli.  This is where you
		successfully mount and adjust your bindings, only to step on
		your unbooted toe and break it the day before you were
		supposed to go to Steamboat Springs for a week.)

		C)  Set the toepiece at its lowest setting and put your boot
		in the binding.  Twist out of the binding in each direction,
		and gradually increase the settings until it becomes
		"somewhat of an effort" to twist out.  You should have your
		weight centered or slightly forward in your boot when doing
		this.  Keep your knees bent, and don't twist just your leg,
		but try to keep your leg rigid, and twist your entire body.
		The reason that you start out at low settings is twofold:
		1)  So that you can get the feel of how the binding releases.
		2) To tire out your muscles because if you are tired, you will
		set the binding at a safer setting.
		Repeat for the other ski.
		While doing these settings, make sure that if you release
		your twisting effort before the binding releases your boot,
		the binding returns the boot to the center with
		an authoritative SNAP!  If not, one of the adjustments in
		step 3 is not done properly.

		D)  Set the heelpiece at its lowest setting and put your
		boot in the binding.  Using a stepping motion, drive your
		knee forward towards the tip of the ski.  The purpose here
		is to simulate a forward fall, so don't necessarily lift
		your heel, but do drive forward.  The boot should pop right
		out of the heel.  Gradually increase the setting until there
		is a SLIGHT twinge in the back muscle of your knee when the
		release occurs, then back off the setting a little.  Repeat
		for the other binding.

		E)  If you set your bindings like this, at least you know
		that they are not too tight, because they released before you
		hurt yourself.  Now check where you set your bindings, and
		where the shop setting was.  If the shop had them set much
		lower you might want to back off the settings somewhat.  In
		no case should you go higher until you try them on the
		hill.

	5)  On-the-hill adjustments.

		A)  Go skiing.   If you are apt to fall a lot, you will have
		plenty of opportunity to adjust your bindings.  If not, go
		ahead and try twisting out, or stepping out of the bindings
		instead of releasing them with your poles.  This
		accomplishes a couple of things:
			1)  Verifies the settings when you are tired.  At
			the end of the day, and just before lunch are the
			times when your skis come off.  If you try out the
			release settings at these times you reassure
			yourself that they are set right.

			2)  Lubricates the moving parts.  The bindings'
			moving parts need to be exercised periodically to
			redistribute the grease.

			3)  Breaks away ice and snow that may inhibit the
			binding.

		B)  Make adjustments slowly.  Just because the bindings
		released once when you thought they shouldn't have, doesn't
		mean that its time to crank 'em down.  You may have to come
		to the conclusion that your skiing style and ability justify
		your bindings releasing very often.  As you get better and
		better, there will become more margin between what is needed
		to hold you in for skiing, and what is needed to protect
		your legs.   For this reason, very good, smooth skiers can
		have their bindings set well below the settings that the
		charts give, and in fact may be set lower than a beginner's
		bindings.

rosen@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Rob Rosen) (11/06/85)

In article <509@nsc-pdc.UUCP> patch@nsc-pdc.UUCP (Pat Chewning) writes:

>Rob Rosen (rosen@ucbvax) writes:
>
>> Using bindings that are less than four years old is a very dangerous
>> practice... Back in 1977 I broke my arm in three places because my
>> Salomon 444's didn't release properly...
>

>Surely Rob meant that he broke his LEG, not his arm.  It would be
>unreasonable to expect bindings to offer any protection to any part of the
>body except the legs.  Unless of course Rob skis on his hands, which I would
>like to see.
     First: anyone who is still confused about my quote "less than
four years..." should know that I meant to say "more than four years...".
     Second:  while I certainly can be accused of temporary loss of
cognitive functioning in the above example, I can most assuredly say
that I did indeed break my ARM, not my leg...what happened was that
as I was falling, my right 444 didn't release; I was trying to break my
fall as any normal person would on a sidewalk, e.g. by sticking my hand
out in front of me.  Unfortunately, I was not traveling at 2mph (typical
walking speed) but rather at about 30mph (typical fast reckless skiing
speed) and so when my hand hit the ground, it was followed by about 140
pounds of weight that was traveling pretty damned fast.  THAT's how I
broke my arm.  In retrospect and in fairness to Salomon, I can't say that
my 444's CAUSED my accident...but I CAN say that they did contribute to it.
    In any event, the purpose was to clear up any confusion...I recommend
Salomons as being pretty good bindings -- my order of preference would be
Looks (I've had the 99RS for awhile and they're great) followed by Tyrolias (many good recommendations from friends) and then Salomons.
I have a personal bias against Markers because I think they are ugly (:-)).

--Rob
--

		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen