[net.rec.ski] Places To Ski--Montana

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (11/12/85)

In article <2a1381bb.1de6@apollo.uucp> rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) writes:
>I think this is a great idea, reviewing your local slopes for those of
>us who might want to ski there some time.

OK. Here goes.

Big Mountain: (Whitefish MT, Nearest Big Towns: Kallispel, Missoula)
As the name implies, this place is *big*.  It has seven or eight chair
lifts, and miles of spacious runs, and spacious powder meadows.  The variety
of slopes, from beginner to expert is incredible.  In the spring
(usually through late April)  the spring skiing is very good.  The night
life is acceptable, but doesn't compare with Jackson Hole, Sun Valley
etc.  Its major problem is fog, which can restrict visibility to just a
few feet, but on a clear day, the view is fantastic.

Snowbowl:  Only for hard-cores.  This area, just a few minutes away from
scenic Missoula, is one of the most difficult in the country.  The
downhill course was closed down because it was too dangerous.  Anyway,
all the crazy people still go here (some fanatically) to ski the steep
bowls, the trees, and the crevices.  There is something at Snowbowl for
everyone... with a passion for the sport.  The night life is in
Missoula, which is marginal at best, but being a college town (U of
Montana) has its moments.

Others:
Bridger Bowl (Bozeman):  Home of the infamous `Bronco'. Recommended.
Big Sky: (Bozeman): To easy & touristy. Not Recommended.
Lost Trail (Lost trail Pass):  Not too difficult, but good snow. Recommended.

					Paul Guthrie.