[net.rec.ski] Bindings

haas@utah-gr.UUCP (Walt Haas) (10/28/85)

Rob Rosen (rosen@ucbvax) writes:

> Using bindings that are less than four years old is a very dangerous
> practice... Back in 1977 I broke my arm in three places because my
> Salomon 444's didn't release properly...

This story is similar to many I have heard in recent years, but the
thing all these stories have in common isn't the age of the bindings,
it's the fact that they were Salomons.  I will probably have to replace
my old Spademans (Spademen?) this year, since my new boots don't have
any place for the soleplate, so I'm interested in the current state of
the binding art.  Most of the pros around here use Salomon 747s, but
I've run into an awful lot of people with leg casts acquired on
Salomons, so for once I'm reluctant to imitate the pros.  I'm looking
for recommendations from anybody with experience on the subject.
I'm a reasonably good skier (I can ski almost anything around here)
and inherited knees which are easily injured.  I've been setting
my bindings to release easily for the last few years, and putting up
with a few false releases for the sake of my knees.

What does anybody have to recommend?

Thanks in advance  -- Walt Haas

ARPA:  HAAS@UTAH-20
uucp:  .... {decvax | ihnp4 | seismo} !utah-cs!haas

dotto@winston.UUCP (Kim Dotto) (10/31/85)

I have skied for about the last 15 years and have seen a number of
different types of binding come and go in popular vogue. Among the
list are: Burt Retractables, Besser Plates (which I owned and hated),
and  a number of old old old beartrap bindings.  Various shops in my
area have pushed various bindings over the years but my overall
favorites have been LOOK bindings.  The LOOK 89 should work for your
weight.  The LOOK 99 would give a higher  margin of safety (which is
probably why the salesman recommended them).  There really are no BAD
bindings on the market today (although I have always considered
Salamon bindings to be leg breakers , my opinion only, no facts to
prove this).  Any  binding should perform well within the
manufacturers ratings provided the entire system (boots,bindings,skis)
is properly matched and installed.

"all the views are my opinions only"
					  Kim

kaepplein@amber.DEC (11/01/85)

OK, here is something on bindings.  I didn't post before because I'm
no expert or 20+ year skier.  Here is a summary derived from reading
and conversations in ski shops:

I've been looking for new bindings for my new skis (3G's).  I got Solomon
647s for my other pair of skis last year and they work fine.  Here are some
of the bindings under consideration:

ESS:	These can be moved for and aft on the ski.  A nice feature allowing
compensation for conditions and your mood.  ESS claims these have small
mounting area, and heel movement for minimal ski flex impedence.  No
friction compensation device to ease forward twisting falls (where the
toe pressures the anti-friction plate) is a caveat.  Price is $200 and
availability is poor, however the bindings can be moved between skis
with extra $50 mounting plates.

Look:  The new XM releases in backward falls.  The only other one to
do this is Geze.  Turntable heel aids release in twisting falls.  Probably
one of the safest bindings on the market.  Disadvantage of the XM is that
the toe upward release setting is not seperate from the lateral release
(as can be done on Geze) so safety suffers when cranked down for anti-
shock use in racing.  Price ~$150

Geze:  I havn't really considered these much.  I've heard that they
don't allow for much lateral toe travel used in racing.

Marker:  Seems to be a favorite for racing.  Toe has good anti-shock
travel.  New MR "twincam" toe eliminates need for anti-friction pads
and their problems with wear and dirty boots.  Two upper models have
lightweight turntable heel with small mounting area (and effect on ski
flex), but it is NOT step in - you have to set it.  A conventional
step in heel is also available.  Price ~$150.

Tyrollia:  Has dual diagonal system with heel that travels laterally.
I'm not sure when this wins (backward twisting falls?) but it offers
more saftey than a fixed heel.

Plastic vs. aluminum bindings:  Plastic is lighter and less expensive,
but not used in racing models because it will flex a little supposedly
giving poorer control.

Top vs. next to top binding:  Generally the next to top binding has all
the features of the top binding, but softer springs and lower DIN ranges.
These are fine for most people and actually safer when set in the midrange
of the scale.

Saftey:  I wish that I had some Look's as a beginner.  Low speed falls offer
the best chance for getting hurt.  When moving fast there is enough energy
around to release bindings reguardless of angles, friction, and directions.
I too have bad knees. I've sublexated (dislocated) my left patella (knee cap)
4 times already (only once skiing) and don't want to loosen it up again
and have surgery.

Conclusion: None.  For me its between ESS, Look XM and Marker MR but I
still havn't made up my mind.

Mark Kaepplein

mike@hpfcla.UUCP (11/06/85)

As a long time mogul skier, it has been my experience that many accidents
occur when bindings are set tight enough to prevent "blowouts" on the bumps.
Then, a slow fall results in  a break or other damage to the knees or ankles.

Salomon has changed their ads lately to put less emphasis on elasticity (the
prevention of blowouts), since they gave skiers a false sense of security.
"Since I popped out of my bindings, they must be too loose..."

However, note that I'm not advocating that looser is always better.  You can
get seriously injured from premature release, too.  You should check the
release point of your bindings, using your body as the indicator.  If you
can't purposely get out of the binding without injury, then you may get
injured in an accident.  Machines are only a guide.

In summary, do what works for you, but be aware of the pitfalls.

Mike Forman
Hewlett-Packard Company
Fort Collins, Colorado

Obligatory note:  Nothing in this message is the opinion of myself or my
employer.  I never saw any of this before it magically appeared on Notes.

rjs@hpfcla.UUCP (11/06/85)

I have had some (bad) experience with Soloman bindings over the years
that I thought I would share. Back in the early 1970's I bought my first
pair of Soloman bindings. They were the 505 model (top of the line) and
I had them mounted on a pair of Spaulding Sideral skiis. Within a year
the toe piece had developed a dangerous amount of play which caused the
bindings to release at very dangerous times. I had them replaced under
warantee.

After another year the same problem occured. At this time Soloman was
introducing their 555 binding. The 555 was being sold with a 5 year
guarantee to convince customers that they had fixed the toe piece problem.
Being young (and perhaps a slow learner) I decided I would buy these new
555's that would correct the problem. I had a pair mounted on a pair of
Rossignol 102's. To make a long story short, I had 4 pair of toe pieces
replaced under the guarantee. Needless to gave up on Soloman. I bought a
pair of Look Nevada bindings. About that time Soloman was introducing
the Soloman 727. The local dealer told me that Soloman was so sure that
they had fixed the toe problem that they were reducing their guarantee
to 2 years. I chuckled and said I'll take the Look's please.

The looks were the most trouble free bindings I have ever owned. They
were a major improvement over the Soloman's and some Spademan's that I
had tried on some 180's that I was using for jumping/ballet. My only
complaint with the Looks was that they were such a pain to get in and
out of.

My last purchase was a pair of Marker MR's. So far they have been
excellent but I haven't used them for long enough to know about their
durability.

Bob "lucky those damn Soloman's didn't kill me" Schneider
ihnp4!hpfcla!hpfcll!rjs

stryker@dicomed.UUCP (d. j. stryker) (11/08/85)

In article <1614@utah-gr.UUCP> haas@utah-gr.UUCP (Walt Haas) writes:
>Rob Rosen (rosen@ucbvax) writes:
>
>> Using bindings that are less than four years old is a very dangerous
>> practice... Back in 1977 I broke my arm in three places because my
>> Salomon 444's didn't release properly...

	OK, folks, I'm going to go out on a limb with this one.  I think that
	when it comes down to it, just about any binding made in the post cable
	binding era is going to do the job of protecting your legs more or less
	as well as any other if it is adjusted properly.  I claim that most leg
	breaker falls would be leg breakers regardless of the binding used, and
	to blaim your bindings for your injuries is probably barking up the wrong
	lift pole.  You want facts and figures about this one?  Well I don't have
	them!  What I do have is 17 years of skiing/racing/instructing experience
	and I've seen my share of injuries.  Most injuries I've seen have occured
	because the skier is out of control, or is doing something that is a risk
	for his/her level of experience.  This is part of the exhilaration of skiing
	for many, but it does have its dangers.
											--- Don

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (11/15/85)

As a skier for the last seven years, I have set my Tyrolia 350 diagonals
like this.
At the beginning of the season I set them on the beginning of the 2
setting. (the recommended for my size and weight is middle of the 3)
While standing in my living room, I find that I can pull out of them
in any direction with a medium effort.  This insures that I'll end up
chasing a ski a few yards instead of breaking something.  (Preferable
in my book anyday!)  When I regain my confidence and "ski legs" I SLOWLY
readjust the bindings as I find myself comming out of them a little too often.
This of course requires keeping a screwdriver in the car, (or whatever
else may be required in your case) and requires taking a little time
out of your ski day.  But in the long run, the end results have kept me
skiing happily for seven years and I hope this will be the eighth!>
as a side note, Don't go past the reccomended settings even if you
are comming out on every run!(you need new bindings for you style of skiing)
and also the last 2 years, I didn't even get to the "Recommended" setting
before ski-season was over.

						Happy schussing!
						Dave Scott