[net.rec.ski] Adjusting Bindings "By The Book"

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (12/11/85)

From postnews Thu Oct 31 10:03:27 1985
Subject: Re: Adjusting Bindings "By The Book"
Newsgroups: net.rec.ski

>>     Every time I have had my bindings adjusted professionally, the
>> technician has asked me how much I weigh, how proficient I am, and if
>> I have any personal preference towards spring tension.  It's been my
>> experience that most binding adjustments made in-store are on the low
>> side, e.g. the spring tension is usually LESS than recommended; the reasons
>> are that most people overestimate their ability and underestimate their
>> weight.  I always make a point of asking the tech to purposely keep the
>> springs a little loose because I have racing-tension springs in my Looks
>> which tend to get really tight on me and also because I've been in my
>> share of binding-related accidents.  I'd also like to add that after adj-
>> ustment, I've ALWAYS been "twisted out".  Even though I've been skiing
>> for about fifteen years now and theoretically should know my way around
>> any facet of binding adjustment, I ALWAYS blow the $15 or so to have my
>> bindings adjusted by a tech because I can't help feeling that a trained
>> technician adjusting my bindings should greatly reduce any risk of release
>> malfunctions.  Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I've seen many ignorant
>> people get seriously hurt...skiing is a very dangerous sport and safety
>> precautions should not be taken lightly.
>>
>>    "break a leg"  :-)
>> --
>>
>> 		       --Rob Rosen
>>
>> 		       ...ucbvax!rosen
>> 		       rosen@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

> Incidently, I've always had very good luck with my bindings and ski shop
> adjustments.  My bindings are Solomon 626's.  They are about 6 years old
> (I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more).  I usually only ski about
> 6 to 15 days a season.  Consequently, I usually only have the bindings
> professionally adjusted about every other year.
>
> Through the first four years of skiing, I felt the bindings always released
> just where I wanted them to.  They didn't come off when I got a little off
> balance (and able to recover), yet when I fell hard, or twisted my boot hard,
> they always released.
>
> Since the last time I had them set (two years ago), I've gained about 10
> to 15 pounds.  Also, my skiing ability has improved to where I am skiing
> a bit harder and stressing my skis and bindings a bit more.  I noticed
> last year that the bindings seemed to release a hair prematurely.  For example,
> on hard, sharp turns (where I dig my edges in a little hard), my boot popped
> out of the binding (never going really fast, I usually stepped out and fell
> on my face).  This happened about six times last year.  Because of the
> luck I've had with this ski shop in the past, I had them readjust the
> bindings to a higher weight and skill level.
>
> I'll let you know if I break a leg this year.
>
>                            -- Walt Tucker
>                               Tektronix, Inc.

Looks like my luck finally ran out.  I broke my leg the first time up skiing
(at the end of the day, though, so at least I got one day in this year).

The night before skiing, after I got my skis back from the shop, I put them
on the living room floor, put my boots on, and tried to pop myself out of the
bindings.  I was having a hard time doing it, but against my better
judgement I decided not to loosen up the shop setting.  Bad move.  The next
day I went up skiing.  I was making my last couple of runs of the day when
I dug in a tip and toppled.  I wasn't skiing extremely fast, pretty much my
normal speed.  It is hard to say exactly what happened, how I twisted my
body to make this happen, since it all took place rather quickly.  I felt my
bone snap (weird feeling, that), so I knew I broke my leg as soon as I did it.
But, the binding never did release, and I still had my ski on when I came
to rest in the fetal position.

I'll be casted up for at least three months, and it will take a couple
of months after that to get my leg back into shape.  So, no more snow
skiing this year.  I should be in shape for waterskiing, though.

Sympathy mail is welcome.

                        -- Walt Tucker
                           Tektronix, Inc.

P.S. -- I was skiing on a weekday, and it wasn't too crowded.  Even so,
the doctor at the ski area said I was the third broken leg that day.
Early in the season?  Low visibility (it was snowing all day and I
was wearing goggles)?  Bad snow?  A lot of early-season tight bindings?