[net.rec.ski] Getting Serious about SAFETY

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (12/11/85)

My daughter is on the ski team at her high school and they had to
attend a mandatory safety meeting sponsored by the area ski patrol
last night. I had to drive her there and ended up listening to the
presentation.  There were a few major points I thought would be of
interest to net.rec.ski-ers.

Basically, about 40-50 cents of each ticket sold last year was for
insurance.  Ticket prices have gone up dramatically this year, partly
due to the fact that insurance now accounts for $1.50 - $2.00 of each
ticked sold. It seems that, nationally, ski accidents are on the
decline but the severity of the accidents is increasing.  Some ski sites
are not opening because they can't get insurance.  The story was told that
one operator did not have insurance last year and said he'd give the
site to the first accident claim that came along.  Well, someone is now the
proud new owner of an uninsurable ski site.  Anyway, The Mt. Hood Area
operators are instituting a new safety program this year which has attracted
some national attention.  Other areas are watching closely how it works and
some are also inaugurating these measures.

The mountain will be watched closely.  If you are observed skiing in an
unsafe manner, your ticket will be confiscated, you will be forced (?) to
watch a safety flick and then be given a test.  You will then have a bright
(red, I think) vest to wear and you can then ski the remainder of the session.
Everyone will see you and know that you have violated safety rules.
That's the first time.  They will also take your name and circulate it with
the other area operators.   If you repeat any time during the season, you
will be removed from the slopes immediately and all skiing privileges at
all area sites will be unavailable to you the remainder of the season.
Sounds extreme, but they said they are getting serious about safety.
One student asked what happens if you don't pass the test?  The answer?
"If you can't pass the test, you'll never make it through high school".

The number one thing they will be watching for is reckless and out of
control skiing.  This means -  fast (tucked) skiing in an area marked for
slow skiing, skiing downhill such that you would endanger someone else
below you even if that person were to change course (remember, the uphill
skier is supposed to be able to avoid those downhill.  The uphill skier is
always at fault in a collision.  If you are going too fast to stop when
someone pulls in front of you, then you are not in control for the
conditions.), and doing maneuvers which endanger others.  This means
things like jumping cliffs and having someone else watch and imitate
you. If that person gets hurt, then you are liable(I know, try and prove
it).  Anyway, that is the professional paid ski patrols talking, not me.

It was mentioned that at two of the resorts, if you go beyond the marked
boundary, you are on your own. (National Forest Land).  If you go into
an avalanche zone then you are in trouble because you also jeopardize the
patrol that has to rescue you.  If you go out of bounds at the third
site (Meadows) then you go to jail and get fined $500.  (County laws,
not resort rules)

There were other points mentioned, but those were the key items.
They summed it up for the kids by saying, "When you are on the course
racing, go all out for speed through the gates and have a good time.
But when you are on the slopes, slow it down."

The above rules apply to everyone on the mountain.  Members of ski
teams are supposed to know better and they don't get off as easy.
Their suspension comes faster.

They expect other resorts around the country to start resorting to these
types of measures,also.

What do you people think???  Has anyone run into (almost run into) you
from above and then cussed you out because you were "in their way"
and so it was "your fault"?

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (12/11/85)

In article <425@tekcbi.UUCP> jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) writes:
>It was mentioned that at two of the resorts, if you go beyond the marked
>boundary, you are on your own. (National Forest Land).  If you go into
>an avalanche zone then you are in trouble because you also jeopardize the
>patrol that has to rescue you.

This seems reasonable.  You SHOULD be on your own!  However, stupid,
arbitrary court decisions have held areas liable when idiots ride the lift
and ski out-of-bounds, leading to such idiocy as...

>If you go out of bounds at the third site (Meadows) then you go to jail
>and get fined $500.  (County laws, not resort rules)

I don't think this will hold up in court, since the area in question is not
really in the county's jurisdiction.  (Mt. Hood National Forest and
Wilderness Area)  But this does really put a damper on what I'll call
"legitimate" out-of-bounds skiers -- those three-pinners who buy a single
trip lift ticket in order to access the wilderness.  It is, of course,
perfectly legal to hike up the boudary line and ski down.  What if you
were XC skiing in the wilderness area, accidently crossed some obscure
corner of the ski area, and went back into the wilderness?  Jail time?
--
:::::: Artificial   Intelligence   Machines   ---   Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 60-405	(w)503/685-2956 ::::::

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (12/12/85)

> What do you people think???  Has anyone run into (almost run into) you
> from above and then cussed you out because you were "in their way"
> and so it was "your fault"?

I've been skied into or nearly skied into by uphill skiers more times
than I care to think about.  I've skied most of the major areas in
Vermont, New York, and the Rockies, and three areas stand out as areas
where this has happened to me the most (relative to the amount of skiing
I've done there):

Hunter Mt in NY.  The worst I've been at, especially around the
'midstation' area.  This is the only place where I've been run into
by an area instructor!  He was behind me on a float runout, and I made
a quick parallel stop; he missed me, but skied over the tails of my skis.

Killington VT.

Kitzbuhl, Austria (the only place in Europe I've skied).  They have a lot
of not-too-steep connectinf trails that the locals go straight down and
expect everyone else to do the same.  If you turn, watch out!

In general, it seems to me that these incidents correlate with the
general level of rudeness (lift line cutting, etc.) of the skiers at
an area.

patch@nsc-pdc.UUCP (Pat Chewning) (12/12/85)

A couple of years back, I read an article about a court that decided that
the liability for accidents was determined by which way you were going.
If you were going uphill (on the lifts) then the ski area operators were
responsible.  If you were going downhill (skiing) then the skier was
responsible.  That makes sense to me.  But I guess the same lawyers are
working on ski safety as the ones that are working on auto accidents in
Oregon.  (If someone runs a red light and hits you, you can be liable for
some of the damages because you did not avoid the accident.)

peter@rlgvax.UUCP (Peter Klosky) (12/14/85)

1. Marking skiers for eventual deletion with red vests has the
   side-effect of causing some 15-year-old boys to make every effort
   to be marked.  Here in the middle atlantic we have a system
   where lift tickets are marked with magic marker; something to
   brag about on the lift.  The criminal mind at play.
2. While it is true that the faster skier uphill should be able
   to stop or avoid those being overtaken, it's not a bad idea
   to look uphill if you're going really slow and think you might be
   turning into someone's path.  Due to the low altitude or something,
   the runs are very narrow and crowded around here.

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (12/14/85)

All the sites I have been at out here (Lake Tahoe area) have signs up
saying something like hit-and-run skiing is illegal, not that I have
ever been run into.  They also mention that skiing in closed areas
or outside the area boundaries will loose you your lift ticket.
--
remember, if you do it yourself, sooner or later you'll need a bigger hammer

Ken Shoemaker, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,qantel}!intelca!kds

---the above views are personal.

jtb@desoto.UUCP (John Burgess) (12/16/85)

In article <425@tekcbi.UUCP> jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) writes:

>My daughter is on the ski team at her high school and they had to
>attend a mandatory safety meeting sponsored by the area ski patrol
>last night. I had to drive her there and ended up listening to the
>presentation.  There were a few major points I thought would be of
>interest to net.rec.ski-ers.
>
>What do you people think???  Has anyone run into (almost run into) you
>from above and then cussed you out because you were "in their way"
>and so it was "your fault"?

No, but I've seen many other people hit, or almost get hit and fall down
wondering what whizzed past them.
I may ski faster than many, but I'm ALWAYS in control, and looking
out for what's coming up in front -- and to the extent possible,
who's coming down on me from above.

Some other safety rules I follow:
1)  When entering from a side trail,
STOP ON THE SIDE before cruising out into the middle.

2) Never stop after a blind drop-off (unless you or someone else falls!

3) stop BELOW your companion who is already stopped (esp. if fallen!)

etc. etc.  use common sense!
--
John T.  Burgess, Jr.
(NOTE NEW JOB!)

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (12/19/85)

There were two main reasons why I posted the original article.
  1.  To let you know that some resorts are getting serious about
      enforcing some rules (in their own way)
  2.  To increase awareness among those of you who will be going out
      during the holidays of the need to be conscious of safety at all
      times while skiing.  Especially so during the holidays when there
      will be many people out there who won't be concerned with safety
      and many others who don't care or are ignorant of the rules, even
      tho they may be on the ticket (who reads them except for the word
      of the day) and posted on signs everywhere.

The responses I have received indicate that I have succeeded on both points.

Anyway, ski safely this season.  Everyone else will be glad you did.