[net.rec.ski] Information Wanted on Utah Ski Areas

ivester@amc.UUCP (Paul Ivester) (01/09/86)

In February I intend to be in Utah, and hope to do some skiing.
Such things may have been posted before, but if anyone has a
summary of the relative merits of the ski areas within driving
distance of Salt Lake City, I would appreciate it if you could
mail it to me.

Paul Ivester, Applied Microsystems Corp, ...uw-beaver!tikal!amc!ivester

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (01/15/86)

Here's my quickie rating of local ski areas (within 45 min of downtown
SLC).

Alta:	Probably best powder, great variety of terrain, lots of locals.
Snowbird: Lots of Californians, greatest vertical, expensive, good snow.
Brighton: Mostly locals, nice snow, cheap Mon and Thu ($5/day)
Solitude: Some people really like this one, I don't.  $5 Mon-Thu.
Park West: Not as much snow, never skied it.
Park City: Probably biggest, expensive, never skied it.
Deer Valley: Most expensive.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"Ask not what your kernel can do for you, but rather what you

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (01/30/86)

In article <1653@utah-gr.UUCP> thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:

>Here's my quickie rating of local ski areas (within 45 min of downtown
>SLC).
>
>Alta:	Probably best powder, great variety of terrain, lots of locals.
>Snowbird: Lots of Californians, greatest vertical, expensive, good snow.
>Brighton: Mostly locals, nice snow, cheap Mon and Thu ($5/day)
>Solitude: Some people really like this one, I don't.  $5 Mon-Thu.
>Park West: Not as much snow, never skied it.
>Park City: Probably biggest, expensive, never skied it.
>Deer Valley: Most expensive.
>
>--
>=Spencer

Deer Valley: Most expensive but deluxe in every way.  Everybody ought
to try it once; I did.  The slopes are ~70% groomed intermediate and
wide.  I think a gardener goes out with his leaf rake every night. :-)
The meals are fantastic, the silver and dishes and coffee cups with
saucers are all standard.  The bathrooms have GOLD fixtures and is
done all in marble.  And because of the cost ($25 in 1982) there are
no major crowds.

It was fun to rub elbows with the affluent, the wealthy, and the
famous.  Me and Robert Redford got to talk old times.   :-)

Bill Landsborough

----

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not
arrogant or rude... Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all
things, endures all things."   1 Corinthians 13:4-7

peter@utah-gr.UUCP (02/08/86)

Except Robert Redford skis at his own resort - Sundance.

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (02/13/86)

In article <1673@utah-gr.UUCP> peter@utah-gr.UUCP (Peter S. Ford) writes:
>Except Robert Redford skis at his own resort - Sundance.

I'm sure he does, but he like any other skier gets bored with just one
resort.  And when money is not an object, why wouldn't anyone ski at
other resorts, especially deluxe ones like Deer Valley which he was
doing the day that I saw him.
				Bill Landsborough