[net.rec.ski] telemark

jon@utcs.uucp (Jon Alexander) (02/14/86)

I have heard the word "telemark" used to describe
both a general form of skiing (combined alpine and
nordic, a.k.a. "backcountry skiing" or "ski mountain-
eering"), and a specific technique ("the telemark turn")
for going downhill on nordic-type skiis.

I just recently missed a chance to try telemarking (the technique)
out. Anybody had experience? Is "telemarking" really a special
"dance step" or a "way of life", in your mind? Is it fun?
--
Jon 'Big J' Alexander, U. of Toronto Comp. Serv.
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA

davel@zehntel.UUCP (David Longerbeam) (02/19/86)

> I just recently missed a chance to try telemarking (the technique)
> out. Anybody had experience? Is "telemarking" really a special
> "dance step" or a "way of life", in your mind? Is it fun?
> --
> Jon 'Big J' Alexander, U. of Toronto Comp. Serv.

I recently took my chance to try telemarking, and I had a gas.  I
took a weekend-long intensive at (here's the plug) Alpine Skills
Institute in Norden, California.  The lessons were entirely on the
slopes of a nearby downhill resort, Donner Ski Ranch.

I am an intermediate level alpine skier, but I have become increasingly
devoted to nordic skiing over the years.  I also like to get out into
the "backcountry", including camping.  Hence my motivation for the
course was to learn how to turn those sticks off the beaten track.

After having so much fun, I can see many people's motivation for
learning to telemark as an end in itself.  It is a very graceful
turn, or it feels that way to me.  I feel as if I am somehow
closer to a human being with that equipment than with alpine gear --
I feel like an android without my normal range of foot and ankle
freedom.  And with loose heels, one can TOUR, again my original
motivation.  Now I plan to orient much of my nordic fun to take
advantage of my new interest -- though I believe that the heavier
variety of nordic gear (lug-soled boots, metal edge skiis) helps
in telemarking, at least for the beginner.

- Dave Longerbeam

--
David Longerbeam @ Zehntel Automation Systems, Walnut Creek, CA
{ihnp4,ucbvax}!zehntel!davel

jans@tekecs.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (02/21/86)

In article <1102@utcs.uucp> jon@utcs.uucp (Jon Alexander) writes:
>I have heard the word "telemark" used to describe both a general form of
>skiing (combined alpine and nordic, a.k.a. "backcountry skiing" or "ski
>mountaineering"), and a specific technique ("the telemark turn") for going
>downhill on nordic-type skiis.

Strictly speaking, the term "telemark" refers to a specific position, with
one calf and one thigh parallel to each other and perpendicular to the
ground, causing one ski to move at least a foot or two in front of the other.
The popular turn uses this position, but so do ski-jumpers when they land --
and they are not interested in turning at that point!  The telemark position
should be used anywhere front-back stability (as opposed to lateral
stability) is desired.

The telemark turn is great in powder or crud due to this stability, but lacks
clout on ice, mainly because one's weight is distributed between two skis
instead of mostly on the downhill ski.

>I just recently missed a chance to try telemarking (the technique)  out.
>Anybody had experience? Is "telemarking" really a special "dance step" or a
>"way of life", in your mind? Is it fun?

Sure it's fun!  It puts challenge back into intermediate runs.  It makes
slopes and speeds that are safe interesting once again.  I'm not willing to
ski faster than I'm willing to fall, and nordic-downhill (a better term than
"telemark", since it encompasses all the techniques used in alpine skiing,
plus telemark) makes that possible without boredom.

More skill is needed to compensate for the lack of equipment, and as one
becomes more skilled, it is possible to make do with lighter equipment,
opening the door to combined track-bushwack-downhill experiences that are
"far from the madding crowd".  I would recommend some lessons, but I'm
biased.  (I teach telemark on the weekends.)  By all means, try it out!