[net.rec.ski] Snow in Oregon

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (03/16/86)

Location: Mt. Hood, Timberline
Date: 3/7 (sorry after the fact)
Air Temperature: 42 F
Wind Direction and Velocity: S 10 MPH
Cloud cover: Two layers complete, visibility from 100 yards to 30 miles (later)
Overall weather accessment: stormy
Snow depth: 11 feet in a trough (unfair).
Elevation of measure (base): 6900 feet
Physical Snow Characteristics: 4-6 new fallen and iced up quickly
Water content (if known):
Backcountry avalanche hazard: HIGH
X-C Wax: Blue/purple
Lift Lines wait (if a downhill resort): 0-5 minutes
Ancillary Comments: The rate it iced up, it surprised me that Jan Steinman
and other don't complain.

Location: Crater Lake, OR
Date: 3/14
Air Temperature: 25 F
Wind Direction and Velocity: 0
Cloud cover: 0
Overall weather accessment: Clear
Snow depth: variable 0-12 feet
Elevation of measure (base): rim at around 7,000
Physical Snow Characteristics: 4-6 new fallen
Water content (if known):
Backcountry avalanche hazard: HIGH
X-C Wax: Special Blue or mix of Blue and purple sticke
Lift Lines wait (if a downhill resort): NA
Ancillary Comments:  Nice day.

Location: Ashland OR
Date: 3/14
Air Temperature: 20 F and dropping
Wind Direction and Velocity: S gusts to 30 MPH
Cloud cover: overcast but visibility okay
Overall weather accessment: storm coming in.
Snow depth: 4-5 feet
Elevation of measure (base): 6900?
Physical Snow Characteristics: New fallen
Water content (if known):
Backcountry avalanche hazard: HIGH
X-C Wax: Blue
Lift Lines wait (if a downhill resort): 0 for night skiing
Ancillary Comments: Only 2 X-C trails, but too windy for enjoyable
night skiing.

Location: Mt. Shasta, CA
Date: 3/15
Air Temperature: probably 20 F
Wind Direction and Velocity: S gusts to 30 MPH
Cloud cover: complete
Overall weather accessment: stormy, visibility to 100 yards
Snow depth: 10 feet
Elevation of measure (base): 6800 fy
Physical Snow Characteristics: 4-6 inches new fallen
Water content (if known):
Backcountry avalanche hazard: Very High
X-C Wax: Blue
Lift Lines wait (if a downhill resort):
Ancillary Comments:  This was a close one.  Got snowed in, dug out,
locked in (road gate) and had to walk into town to get a key.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  eugene@ames-nas.ARPA

jans@tekecs.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (03/18/86)

In article <1438@ames.UUCP> eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>Location: Mt. Hood, Timberline
>Physical Snow Characteristics: 4-6 new fallen and iced up quickly
>Ancillary Comments: The rate it iced up, it surprised me that Jan Steinman
>and other don't complain.

C'mon, Eugene!  Surely you know the derivation of the term "Portland Cement"?
That's just another weekend of skiing in the Northwest!  Like I used to say
back home, "Them ain't antiques, them's funriture!"  (By the way, wanna buy
some MaxiGlide stock?)

We'll see who laughs last when we're still telemarking in August!

:::::: Artificial   Intelligence   Machines   ---   Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 60-405	(w)503/685-2956 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::