[net.music] YAWN

sherouse@unc.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) (04/09/85)

It is indeed a scathing indictment of today's music scene to note
that of the traffic in this news group, fully 1/2 is argument about
the appropriate protocol for gossipping about a bunch of aging (aged?)
hippies, and the rest is more or less evenly divided between
debating the motives of today's Superstars for Third World Money
and reminiscing about a time when popular recording artists were
able to substitute quantity for quality by taking a simple little
tune and abusing it for 28 minutes.

Come on people, where are the *NEW TUNES*?  You know what I mean -
music that challenges the listener to discover and delight in subtle
nuances of sound and lyric.  Then again, maybe you don't know what
I mean.

Sigh.

- George

"I got tired of counting all these blessings...
					    ... and then I just got tired."

kincaid@ur-valhalla.UUCP (glenn kincaid) (04/11/85)

> Come on people, where are the *NEW TUNES*?  You know what I mean -
> music that challenges the listener to discover and delight in subtle
> nuances of sound and lyric.  Then again, maybe you don't know what
> I mean.
>
> Sigh.
>
> - George

*** REPLACE THIS !! ---------------->

Well, unless I've missed something, I haven't heard anything on the
net about Los Lobos. Has anybody else out there listened to this band?

I'd say they're some of the best new music around today. Just off the
top of my head, they're a band from East L.A., who have been together
for quite awhile. First, they started playing top 40 stuff in clubs.
After tiring of that, the got back to their roots, and started playing
Mexican Folk tunes. Now, at last, they play a quite unique and
exciting mix of everything from raveup/rockabilly to out & out rock &
roll to Mexican Polka music, to ballads.

Their first EP was released on SLASH, called "And A Time To Dance ..."
I believe they won a grammy for one of the songs with Spanish lyrics.

The big smash, if you've been unconscious for the past few months, is
their newewst album, "How Will the Wolf Survive.?" Let me tell you,
this is the best album I've heard in quite a few months. It's
difficult to compare it to anything, because I've never heard anything
quite like it. Very upbeat guitar work, good lyrics (you can tell they
MEAN it), and the occasional accordian/polka tune thrown in for ggod
measure.

If you like the Blasters (also from LA), then you'll probably LOVE Los
Lobos.

- How's that for a little bit of new music ?

				Glenn Kincaid

- "black and white, half-shades of grey, some people cannot accept
	this way."

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (04/12/85)

> Well, unless I've missed something, I haven't heard anything on the
> net about Los Lobos. Has anybody else out there listened to this band?

	Los Lobos is a truly good group of musicians, and definitely
worth listening to. The song they won the Grammy for from their first
album was "Anselma". Their music sounds alot like well, er, Mexican
polka. It comes from a long tradition of Tex-Mex music that had part of
its evolution from Hispanic roots and part from the German farmers who
settled large sections of Texas. I had the opportunity to talk with
members of the band last year when they appeared at the 930 Club in DC.,
and was really impressed by them. In addition to the usual guitar, bass,
acoustic guitar and drums, they play accordian and another instrument
which looks something like a 12-string guitar called a bajo sexto. They
are well worth checking out.
--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

rm@ptsfb.UUCP (Roger Magoulas) (04/12/85)

In article <322@ur-valhalla.UUCP> kincaid@ur-valhalla.UUCP (glenn kincaid) writes:
>> Come on people, where are the *NEW TUNES*?  You know what I mean -
>> music that challenges the listener to discover and delight in subtle
>> nuances of sound and lyric.  Then again, maybe you don't know what
>> I mean.
>>
>> Sigh.
>>
>> - George
>
>Well, unless I've missed something, I haven't heard anything on the
>net about Los Lobos. Has anybody else out there listened to this band?

Will the Wolf Survive is the best album I've bought in a long time.
There is something on the album for everyone.  Try and give this one
a listen.

Apparently (from an article in rolling stone) they acquired their
current sound after opening for John Lydon (sp, formerly Johnny
Rotten of the Sex Pistols) and getting violently booed off stage.
The band then changed from playing traditional mexican music
to a more energetic mixture of traditional and punk styles.

I missed them the last time they played the bay area, and I'm
wondering how they are live and if they'll be playing up this way
any time soon.

brad@gcc-bill.ARPA (Brad Parker) (04/12/85)

In article <322@ur-valhalla.UUCP> kincaid@ur-valhalla.UUCP (glenn kincaid) writes:
>> Come on people, where are the *NEW TUNES*?  You know what I mean...
>Well, unless I've missed something, I haven't heard anything on the
>net about Los Lobos. Has anybody else out there listened to this band?
>I'd say they're some of the best new music around today. Just off the..

Hate to tell you this, there's nothing new about Mexican Polka Bands...
Now if you want new music, go buy Lloyd Coal & the Commotions, or Sade
or (if you really want hot) Guadal Canal Diary (sp?). And let's not forget
the Stranglers. This is just the mundane stuff I have around the office...
--

J Bradford Parker
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives...
	and now it's happening in mine."		-The Smiths