[net.lang.c] Numerical C and C++

brucee@alice.UUCP (Bruce Ellis) (05/31/84)

>   According to some papers on the "C++" language done at Bell (which they're
>   now just calling "C" and are calling what those of us in the real world
>   know as "C" "old C"), you can:

You seem to know a lot about what's going on here at Bell, Guy.
Actually you are as ignorant as the other people who submit
twenty news items a day.

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (06/01/84)

> >   According to some papers on the "C++" language done at Bell (which they're
> >   now just calling "C" and are calling what those of us in the real world
> >   know as "C" "old C"), you can:

> You seem to know a lot about what's going on here at Bell, Guy.
> Actually you are as ignorant as the other people who submit
> twenty news items a day.

Oh, piss off.  I'm only quoting what I read in the technical report which
was, in case you didn't know it, put out by AT&T Bell Laboratories.  If you
want to argue with the author of the CSTR (I won't try and spell it because
1) I don't have the papers at hand and 2) your little snide comment makes it
not worth the effort) go right ahead.  He states rather explicitly there
that C++ is also being called C and that what was C is being called "old C".
I only know what I read in the papers.  When the person who currently has
the papers returns from the business trip they're on, I'll be more than glad
to cite the exact statement, CSTR and page number and everything.

Sort of makes you look a little foolish, doesn't it?

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

brucee@alice.UUCP (Bruce Ellis) (06/01/84)

>>>   According to some papers on the "C++" language done at Bell (which they're
>>>   now just calling "C" and are calling what those of us in the real world
>>>   know as "C" "old C"), you can:
>>
>> You seem to know a lot about what's going on here at Bell, Guy.
>> Actually you are as ignorant as the other people who submit
>> twenty news items a day.
>
> Oh, piss off.  I'm only quoting what I read in the technical report which
> was, in case you didn't know it, put out by AT&T Bell Laboratories.  If you
> want to argue with the author of the CSTR (I won't try and spell it because
> 1) I don't have the papers at hand and 2) your little snide comment makes it
> not worth the effort) go right ahead.  He states rather explicitly there
> that C++ is also being called C and that what was C is being called "old C".
> I only know what I read in the papers.  When the person who currently has
> the papers returns from the business trip they're on, I'll be more than glad
> to cite the exact statement, CSTR and page number and everything.
>
> Sort of makes you look a little foolish, doesn't it?

I know the paper, I know the author.  He calls them C and old-C
respectively.  No-one else in 1127 does.  You look a little foolish
yourself, Guy.  First you believed what you read in the papers
then you got real mad when someone pointed out your error.
Re-flames by mail please.  Some people may not like your next obscenity.

donn@sdchema.UUCP (Donn Seeley) (06/01/84)

	From: brucee@alice.UUCP

	>   According to some papers on the "C++" language done at Bell
	>   (which they're now just calling "C" and are calling what
	>   those of us in the real world know as "C" "old C"), you
	>   can:

	You seem to know a lot about what's going on here at Bell,
	Guy.  Actually you are as ignorant as the other people who
	submit twenty news items a day.

Actually both of these statements display ignorance: it's not BELL,
it's AT&T BELL LABORATORIES. :->

I think brucee@alice's remark is completely uncalled for (at least in
net.lang.c; notice that I'm broadening the distribution).  This has to
be the most foolish statement I have seen in a technical newsgroup in,
well, months.  If Guy is wrong, say why!  Or at least state that
details are under discussion and that staffers are not permitted to
disclose anything.  If Guy is a gadfly, so much the better for the net
-- gadflies often stimulate useful comment and debate (but Guy has
clearly failed in that here, after getting an answer like brucee's).
Although I have not found Guy to be omniscient, he is probably
better-informed than most readers of the net, and he is certainly
constructive (which is more than I can say for brucee).

Since some obnoxiously ad-hominem comment is probably required here to
justify involving the net.flame readership, let me say this:  Let's
hope that brucee is not involved in C development efforts, because his
contempt for humanity is a virtual guarantee that none of his software
will be usable.

How did you like that, sports fans?

Donn Seeley    UCSD Chemistry Dept.       ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdchema!donn

PS  If someone really DOES have something constructive to say about
new developments in C, PLEASE say it.  Otherwise this whole discussion
should promptly be retired to net.flame.

opus@drutx.UUCP (06/01/84)

Date: Fri, 1-Jun-84 14:31:30 PDT

Is all this nastiness really necessary?  Guy Harris quite reasonably
paraphrased what he read in a CSTR; he also prefaced his comments with
"According to some papers on the C++ language done at Bell...."
If he is in error, it is quite sufficient to correct the mistaken
impression politely.  For alice!brucee to call Guy "as ignorant as
the other people who submit twenty news items a day" is not only
snide, uncalled for and a poor reflection on alice!brucee; it's
also a little peculiar.  Why is he so mad at the world?

Enough.  How about discussing C++ itself?  (At this point, I'm even
getting nostalgic for a good "return(expr)" vs. "return expr" discussion :-).

Jim Shankland
..!ihnp4!druxy!opus

gwyn@brl-vgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (06/01/84)

This flaming contest would have been avoided if brucee would've been
informative the first time around, rather than just knocking someone
who is TRYING to share what little is known about the evolution of C
inside of AT&TBL.  Many of us care quite a bit about what happens to
C in the next several years; how about an informative dialogue about
the current and near-term changes in the C language, folks?

gwyn@brl-vgr.UUCP (06/01/84)

Date: Fri, 1-Jun-84 14:39:24 EDT

 and C++

This flaming contest would have been avoided if brucee would've been
informative the first time around, rather than just knocking someone
who is TRYING to share what little is known about the evolution of C
inside of AT&TBL.  Many of us care quite a bit about what happens to
C in the next several years; how about an informative dialogue about
the current and near-term changes in the C language, folks?

alan@allegra.UUCP (Alan S. Driscoll) (06/02/84)

From Bruce Ellis:

> You look a little foolish yourself, Guy.

Not really.  If the TR was inaccurate, then it was the author's
fault, no Guy's.

> First you believed what you read in the papers then you got real
> mad when someone pointed out your error.

But you didn't correct one single bit of misinformation, you just
made a pointless, personal attack.

> Re-flames by mail please.  Some people may not like your next
> obscenity.

Actually, I really enjoyed it when Guy told you to "piss off."
Why don't you?  Guy has contributed a *hell* of a lot more to
this net than you, fellow.
--

	Alan S. Driscoll
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

faustus@ucbvax.UUCP (Wayne Christopher) (06/02/84)

> I know the paper, I know the author.  He calls them C and old-C
> respectively.  No-one else in 1127 does.  You look a little foolish
> yourself, Guy.  First you believed what you read in the papers
> then you got real mad when someone pointed out your error.
> Re-flames by mail please.  Some people may not like your next obscenity.

So you people are so disorganized that you can't even agree upon
what you call your languages, and on top of that consider it a
terrible insult when somebody else believes what one of you says
the rest call it?  Furthermore, I don't think that
"pointed out your error" is the best way to describe your
article.  Move over Rich Rosen...

	Wayne

brucee@alice.UUCP (Bruce Ellis) (06/03/84)

OK then, I give in.  I was told that netnews was the new 'rogue',
the new game to play while you are waiting for a make.
Apparently not.  I was impressed, though, by the wide range of
mail I received on my little conribution, ranging from very
blue insults to letters of praise.
Back to work lads, have we decided about return (expr) yet?

jim@ism780.UUCP (06/05/84)

#R:rlgvax:-197300:ism780:12500009:000:289
ism780!jim    Jun  3 22:55:00 1984

Guy Harris has repeatedly demonstrated that he is one of the best informed,
most constructive, people on the net; he saved many people a lot of headaches
and a lot of time.  It seems pretty clear to me who appears the fool in this
discussion.

-- Jim Balter, INTERACTIVE Systems (ima!jim)

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (06/07/84)

#R:rlgvax:-197300:zinfandel:14600020:000:95
zinfandel!berry    Jun  6 12:46:00 1984

isn't  C++ == D??

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

andrew@hwcs.UUCP (Andrew Stewart) (06/13/84)

>>   According to some papers on the "C++" language done at Bell (which they're
>>   now just calling "C" and are calling what those of us in the real world
>>   know as "C" "old C"), you can:
>
>You seem to know a lot about what's going on here at Bell, Guy.
>Actually you are as ignorant as the other people who submit
>twenty news items a day.

I *WISH* people would indulge in personal abuse by mail, *NOT* by news.
With all due respect, news was not designed for a world-wide slanging match.