[net.music] More Psychedelic Music

hsut@pur-ee.UUCP (Bill Hsu) (12/14/85)

	Soren Peterson mentioned the resurgence of interest in
psychedelic music. Some interesting groups he didn't mention include

	The Soft Boys (now disbanded)
	Robyn Hitchcock (ex-Soft Boy)
	Dream Syndicate (unfortunately they changed their style)
	True West (a neo-Velvet Underground band like DS)

	I find Robyn Hitchcock the most interesting of the lot. He's
just plain zany and hilarious, tho he always stresses that he doesn't
take drugs. Hitchcock has written some crazy, personal songs and
is often compared to Syd Barrett. I enjoyed his earlier album
I Often Dream of Trains more than the recent Fegmania. Trains has
a spare acoustic sound and puts the emphasis on Hitchcock's very
clever lyrics. Once in a while, Robyn Hitchcock also turns out
the odd almost-perfect romantic ballad in addition to his driven,
psychotic visions.

				"And I can't decide
				 which one I love the most,
				 the flesh and blood
				 or the pale smiling ghost?

				Bill Hsu

soren@reed.UUCP (Soren Petersen) (12/18/85)

In article <3573@pur-ee.UUCP> hsut@pur-ee.UUCP (Bill Hsu) writes:
>Some interesting groups he didn't mention include
>
>	The Soft Boys (now disbanded)
>	Robyn Hitchcock (ex-Soft Boy)
>	Dream Syndicate (unfortunately they changed their style)
>	True West (a neo-Velvet Underground band like DS)
>
>	I find Robyn Hitchcock the most interesting of the lot. He's
>just plain zany and hilarious, tho he always stresses that he doesn't
>take drugs. Hitchcock has written some crazy, personal songs and
>is often compared to Syd Barrett. I enjoyed his earlier album
>I Often Dream of Trains more than the recent Fegmania. Trains has
>a spare acoustic sound and puts the emphasis on Hitchcock's very
>clever lyrics. Once in a while, Robyn Hitchcock also turns out
>the odd almost-perfect romantic ballad in addition to his driven,
>psychotic visions.
>				Bill Hsu

I too think that Hitchcock is brilliant.  I really enjoy everything of
his that I have heard, both Soft Boys and solo material (not that I've
heard that much, anybody care to post a complete discography?).
He always reminded me of nothing so much as a highly intelligent 10 year
old kid of the kind you see everynow and then whose only aparent purpose in
life is to shock his elders.  He certainly writes the *freakiest* lyrics
around.

				Have a Nice Day,
					Soren Petersen

					"I used to say that you were the