[net.lang.c] 6 letter variable names?

ken@rochester.UUCP (Ken Yap) (10/09/84)

<<<yum-yum>>>

It should not be too hard to write a pre-processor that checks for
identifier clashes within the significance limit of the local compiler
and optionally maps clashes into unique names.

Please don't send us back to the stone age with this 6 letter restriction.
--
	Ken Yap (..!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!ken)

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (10/10/84)

rochester!ken--

> It should not be too hard to write a pre-processor that checks for
> identifier clashes within the significance limit of the local compiler
> and optionally maps clashes into unique names.

If it's "not. . .too hard to write" then the thing for advocates of this
approach to do is to write it.  Best of skill dealing with "extern"s.
--
Rochester may be a Jack Benny Productions trademark
--

ken@rochester.UUCP (Ken Yap) (10/10/84)

In article <4020@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>If it's "not. . .too hard to write" then the thing for advocates of this
>approach to do is to write it.  Best of skill dealing with "extern"s.

I didn't say it would be a one day hack but that's what I would do if
I ever had to port my programs to a world using 6 char limits.
I am going to stay with long identifiers, thank you.

--
	Ken Yap (..!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!ken)