[net.lang.c] Space after undeclared function name

pls@ncsu.UUCP (Phillip L. Shaffer) (11/07/84)

I would like to obtain a consensus, or at least a few opinions, on
a minor point in C syntax.  I have recently obtained the Eco-C
C compiler for my Z-80 machine, and and am generally happy.  It
is doing one thing that I haven't seen before in other C compilers
(namely UNIX 4.2BSD or DeSmet on an IBM PC): it complains about
spaces after function names for funtions that have not been previously
declared - the error message is "illegal function call," or somesuch.
If you declare int functions before use, there is no problem.
Thus:

	int foo();

	foo ();

causes no problem, but

	foo ();

generates the complaint.  K&R (p. 186, paragraph 4) seem to sanction
this:
   "a hitherto unseen identifier followed immediately by a left
   parenthesis is contextually declared to represent a function
   returning an integer; thus, in the most common case, integer-
   valued functions need not be declared."

The question is: does "followed immediately" mean "with nothing
but white space in between" or is it to be taken literally?
This is a minor annoyance to me - changing styles slightly and
editing old programs before recompiling - but I thought I would
get some other opinions before complaining to Eco-Soft.

I will appreciate any responses - send mail to me and I will
summarize (or post your response if you like).  Thanks.

   Phil Shaffer (pls@ncsu)

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron) (11/12/84)

<> From: pls@ncsu.UUCP (Phillip L. Shaffer)
<> Subject: Space after undeclared function name

<> The question is: does "followed immediately" mean "with nothing
<> but white space in between" or is it to be taken literally?
<> This is a minor annoyance to me - changing styles slightly and
<> editing old programs before recompiling - but I thought I would
<> get some other opinions before complaining to Eco-Soft.

<> I will appreciate any responses - send mail to me and I will
<> summarize (or post your response if you like).  Thanks.

<>    Phil Shaffer (pls@ncsu)

My opinion is that they are being overly picky.  It reminds me of the
PR1ME's the school has for class work.  Only two compilers on there
even know what a TAB character is, all the others complain loudly about
unknown characters.  (One is a ratfor compiler we found from the prime
user group, and used until they got a C compiler, which is the other
compiler to know what a tab is.)

David Herron
Phone:	(606) 257-4244 (phone will be answered as "Vax Lab", usually).
	(606) 254-7820
                         /------- Arpa-Net
	unmvax----\     /
	research   >---/----------------/----------- anlams!ukma!david
	boulder---/                    /
	             decvax!ucbvax ---/   (or cbosgd!hasmed!qusavx!ukma!david)

For arpa-net, anlams has the name ANL-MCS.  (i.e. use "ukma!david@ANL-MCS").
I have been having intermittent problems with this address though.