[net.lang.c] Logical vs bitwise operators

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (11/26/84)

If we're going to have the ^^ operator as a logical version of bitwise
^, then we simply must have a logical version of the equivalence (EQV)
operator, ==.

Following the existing convention, it will be spelled ====.  Thus:

	(a====b) is equivalent to ((a!=0) == (b!=0))

(-:    or we could spell ^^ as !=!=    :-)

  -- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)       [UUCP]
                       (orca!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

dan@digi-g.UUCP (Dan Messinger) (11/27/84)

In article <1181@orca.UUCP> andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) writes:
>If we're going to have the ^^ operator as a logical version of bitwise
>^, then we simply must have a logical version of the equivalence (EQV)
>operator, ==.
>
>Following the existing convention, it will be spelled ====.  Thus:
>
>	(a====b) is equivalent to ((a!=0) == (b!=0))
>
>(-:    or we could spell ^^ as !=!=    :-)

Ah, but a====b is easily expressed as !(a^^b).   :-)

(I can be as ridiculous as the next guy)
Dan Messinger
ihnp4!umn-cs!digi-g!dan