cottrell@nbs-vms.ARPA (02/01/85)

/*
> In article <551@ukma.UUCP> david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) writes:
> > In article <7404@brl-tgr.ARPA> cottrell@nbs-vms.ARPA "comments":
> > >/*
> > >martin minow @decvax.uucp mentions a programmer who uses
> > >
> > >	label:	...
> > >		goto label;
> > >
> > >to delimit an outer loop that goes on for pages as you can easily
> > >lose track of nesting levels.
> > >
> > >flame:	anyone who does that ....
> > >nice:	please dont write code like that. each funxion should
> > >	be entirely on one page. use form feeds to separate pages.
> > >	thank you.
> > >*/
> >
> > 1. Ok.  Fine.  Putting form-feeds in the code may make sense to you.
> >    There are just a few problems with this.  Namely, the V7 compiler
> >    would barf on an illegal character, if you two column your output
> >    using pr(1) (to save paper...) pr dies horrible deaths on the
> >    form-feed character, you infuriate me because I (sometimes) like to
> >    have my printout two column.

I have used two V6 compilers that allowed FF's. I also used a 'V7' compiler
on Codata's Unisys. If your compiler barfs, you can put the FF inside /**/.
You're right! PR does not handle multi-columns with FF's correctly. I consider
this a bug, altho no one ever said it should do the right thing.

> > 2. DON'T YOU DARE TELL ME HOW TO WRITE MY CODE!!!!
> >
> >    I'LL MESS IT UP IN MY OWN WAY, THANK YOU!!!!

You probably will no matter what I say. Don't be so defensive. Neither one
of us is perfect. I happen to think code that sprawls over a page boundary
is gross. Not everyone cares. I was trying to be nice, as you recall.

> 	Yeah!  The last CS cource I took, where the grader (who didn't
> understand "C" to save her life) chocked off about 25% of style grade
> because she liked little idiosynchronisities like correct spelling :-)
> in comments and big blocks around comments, et cetera, also left no password
> set on her account....
>
> 	Who could blame the frustrated little hacker, discovering this, from
> creating a .login that (1) printed a "cute" message giving that hacker's
> opinion of her grading methods; (2) copied the .login to some safe place;
> (3) moved in a generic .login; (4) and when she logged off, an at(1) script
> copied back in the "neat" .login?
> 	A little check three days later showed [1] A password set;
> [2] the .login scam STILL working!!!!
>
> 	The hacker felt a *little* sorry for the grader.
>
> /*************************************************************/
> /*  The next program the hacker turned in HAD nice comment   */
> /*  blocks.....                                              */

Go get em! Sweet revenge!!!

"Heartless powers try to tell us what to think
 If the spirit is sleeping then the flesh is ink."

*/