[net.lang.c] 'C' compiler minimal subset

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (07/02/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR STRUCTURE DEFINITION ***

   I have been toying with the idea of writing as much of a C compiler
as will fit in my 64K machine.  I would like to implement a minimal
subset so that I can bootstrap it up until I can't go any farther.
Does anybody care to volunteer their ideas on what I should start with?
(Unless you have an urgent need to have 100,000 people read your reply,
please send mail to me directly.  Also, I don't regularly read this group,
so a posting will probably not get to me.)  BTW, I have no intention of
having this thing do anything but give me something other than assembly
language or BASIC to play with, so I don't really care about fully
complying with any proposed standard.
--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."

cdl@mplvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (07/04/85)

In article <1259@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) writes:
>   I have been toying with the idea of writing as much of a C compiler
>as will fit in my 64K machine

If Dennis Ritchie could write one, probably you could too.  Remember the
PDP-11.  :-)

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl

johnl@ima.UUCP (07/07/85)

> /* Written  1:33 pm  Jul  4, 1985 by cdl@mplvax in ima:net.lang.c */
> In article <1259@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) writes:
> >   I have been toying with the idea of writing as much of a C compiler
> >as will fit in my 64K machine
> If Dennis Ritchie could write one, probably you could too.  Remember the
> PDP-11.  :-)

Hey, wait a minute -- it wasn't a 64K machine, it was a 56K machine, and
24K of that was taken up by the operating system.  (Take that, megabyte
kernel hackers.)

John Levine, ima!johnl

minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow) (07/09/85)

A quote attributed (perhaps incorrectly) to one of the great
Wizards of C and Unix may be appropriate here:

	"I never document my code.  If it was hard to do,
	it should be hard to understand."

Martin Minow
decvax!minow