[net.lang.c] Concurrent C

jon@anwar.UUCP (John Sissler) (06/12/85)

	i am interested in any information regarding concurrent
models based on C for VAX computers.  i believe bell has one.
the purpose of this tool will be to develop parallel software on a
VAX host and use identical abstractions on the actual non von
host.

				much thanks in advance,

				john sissler - HHB-Softron

		{decvax|allegra|ihpn4}!philabs!hhb!anwar!jon

nhg@allegra.UUCP (Narain Gehani) (07/30/85)

<>
                            CONCURRENT C

We have developed CONCURRENT C which is an upward-compatible superset
of the C language that provides concurrent programming facilities based
on the rendezvous concept.  The facilities provided include those
for declaring and creating processes, process synchronization and
interaction, process termination and abortion.
A brief description of Concurrent C is given in a paper titled
CONCURRENT C--AN OVERVIEW by GEHANI and ROOME which was published in
the proceedings of the WINTER 1985 USENIX TECHNICAL CONFERENCE, Dallas.

At present Concurrent C runs under the UNIX* System V on VAX** and
AT&T 3B-20 computers and under the Berkeley UNIX 4.2 BSD on VAX
computers and SUN workstations.

We will be willing to give a copy of the Concurrent C compiler object
code to ACADEMIC and RESEARCH institutions.  The Concurrent C compiler
is fairly robust at the present time.  We will welcome feedback
on all aspects of Concurrent C.

To request a copy of the Concurrent C compiler and a detailed description
of Concurrent C, write to
			    Narain Gehani
			    AT&T Bell Labs 3D-414
			    600 Mountain Avenue
			    Murray Hill, NJ 07974, USA

* UNIX is a trademark of AT&T.
** VAX is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation.

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (07/31/85)

In article <4838@allegra.UUCP> nhg@allegra.UUCP (Narain Gehani) writes:
><>
>                            CONCURRENT C
>
>  The facilities provided include those
>for declaring and creating processes,
er....  fork() and exec() ???
> process synchronization and interaction,
er....  signal(), pipe() ???
> process termination and abortion.
oohhh....  you told the right to lifers about this???

or, maybe you mean signal() again????

On the other hand.  It sounds interesting enough.  Especially since the
price is right :-)

--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA