[net.lang.c] C bites / programming stlye

jrife@fthood (09/13/85)

...Back into the heat of the battle...

Ok, so are we *all* willing to admit that the only acceptable way to format a
program is the way in K&R?  *And* the way in all the proprietary source I've
ever seen.
Can you say "The phone company even has a monopoly on source code format?"  I
knew you could.  :-)
No, we're not going to say that K&R are gods, just lesser dieties.  And,
although that book packs more information on the C language into 128 pages than
most books three times its size, nothing is perfect.
I stand by my formatting style as readable, clear, and easy for a newcomer to
understand.  (As for my *programming* style, well, silly is a good word)

--

					*********************************
					*				*

tp@ndm20 (09/18/85)

Of course if you have an indent program that produces  output that is
acceptable to you, it  really doesn't  matter how  people write their
code, does it?

Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: ...!{allegra|ihnp4}!convex!smu!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (10/05/85)

In article <3400009@ndm20> tp@ndm20 (Terry Poot) writes:

>Of course if you have an indent program that produces  output that is
>acceptable to you, it  really doesn't  matter how  people write their
>code, does it?

Only if it's unsupported code.

If you are going to run rn or patch through your indent program, it had
better be smart enough to mung the patches I send out too, so that patch can
apply them automatically to your mangled version.  You don't really want to
install 27 largish patches by hand, do you?

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall