[net.lang.c] Proline C

rupp@tetra.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (12/04/85)

I have purchased POWER-C for the Commodore-64 from Proline.  Unfortunately,
I am unable to figure out from the documentation how to compile and run
a simple one (main) function program.  The compiler is described, and the
linker as well, but the procedure for a program which does not need to be
linked to another object file is not there, so far as I can tell.

Being a beginner in C, I suppose I am missing something very basic, here,
but I do want to figure out how to make it work.  Anybody familiar with
POWER-C?

rupp@tetra.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (12/04/85)

I recently bought the C compiler for the Commodore 64 put out by Proline.  The
package looks very good, but I have not had any luck in compiling even a
very short program such as the following:

/* a sample program */

#include <stdio.h>

main()

{

printf("This is a test.");

}

The documentation speaks about the compiler and then the linker, but does not
indicate how a simple single function program like the one above is changed
from an object file (assuming that I could successfully compile the source) to
an executable program.  The documentation seems to assume that two or more
object files will always be linked together.

I would appreciate information from anyone familiar with Proline C.  I
appologize if my beginner's questions seem simplistic.

rgenter@bbn-labs-b.arpa (12/06/85)

     You always need to use a linker.  This will link your simple program
with the C library (where things like printf are defined).
--------
Rick Genter 				BBN Laboratories Inc.
(617) 497-3848				10 Moulton St.  6/506
rgenter@bbn-labs-b.ARPA			Cambridge, MA   02238

jrg@hpda.UUCP (Jeff Glasson) (12/11/85)

In article <119@tetra.UUCP> rupp@tetra.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
>I recently bought the C compiler for the Commodore 64 put out by Proline.  The
>package looks very good, but I have not had any luck in compiling even a
>very short program such as the following:
>
>/* a sample program */
>
>#include <stdio.h>
>
>main()
>
>{
>
>printf("This is a test.");
>

>}
>
>The documentation speaks about the compiler and then the linker, but does not
>indicate how a simple single function program like the one above is changed
>from an object file (assuming that I could successfully compile the source) to
>an executable program.  The documentation seems to assume that two or more
>object files will always be linked together.

To compile and link the above program:

First compile the program using cc (eg. cc test.c).
This produces a .o file.

To create an executable out of the .o, you must use the linker to link in
the runtime and library routines.  Invoke link then issue the commands:

> test.o		; specify the .o file
> ^			; tell the linker to search the libraries
			; make sure the library disk is in before
			; you hit return!
> <cr>

If all goes well, link will now ask for the name of the executable
you wish to write.  If there are still undefined externals, link will
tell you and return the ">" prompt.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Glasson
Hewlett-Packare ISO