[net.lang.c] ANSI

esg@mtx5a.UUCP (ed gokhman) (12/31/85)

Hi:

I just recently started reading this newsgroup. I have a
few questions:

1. ANSI supposed to come up with C standard at the end of 85.
   I understand that it did not happen. What is the latest
   info on it ? Where can I obtain a copy of their draft ?

2. IEEE was working on their own C standard at one point.
   What is the latest from them and how to obtain any
   material on this subject ?

3. Are there any recent publications on AT&T internal
   C standard ?

In addition, I have a few questions on the upcoming
ANSI standard:

a. How was the type equivalence resolved? According to
   Rosler's article in BSTJ - 84 it is name equivalence.
   According to Gahani ("Advanced C", 1985) it is
   structural equivalence.

b. Is a pointer to void pointer to anything, like
   it is done in C++ ?

c. Did aggregate's assignment statement make it into the
   ANSI standard (draft) ?

d. Is specification of function's formal parameters
   in declaration required by ANSI draft ?

Finally, what are the good books/articles on the
new standard(s) ?

			Thanx in advance,
				Ed Gokhman

> 1. ANSI supposed to come up with C standard at the end of 85.
>    I understand that it did not happen. What is the latest
>    info on it ? Where can I obtain a copy of their draft ?

The ANSI X3J11 committee is still very active, but they haven't
finished yet.  The latest draft standard that I have a copy of
is Doc. No. X3J11/85-138 (Nov. 11, 1985); it should be available
through the X3 Secretariat: CBEMA, 311 First St NW, Washington
DC 20001 (202)737-8888.

> 2. IEEE was working on their own C standard at one point.
>    What is the latest from them and how to obtain any
>    material on this subject ?

I don't think there is a separate IEEE C effort at present.
There is a Portable Operating System Environment standards
working group (P1003) that has just ballotted on a proposed
trial use (UNIX system interface) standard.

> 3. Are there any recent publications on AT&T internal
>    C standard ?

How about the C Reference Manual in the UNIX System V docs?

> a. How was the type equivalence resolved? According to
>    Rosler's article in BSTJ - 84 it is name equivalence.
>    According to Gahani ("Advanced C", 1985) it is
>    structural equivalence.

"Two types are the same if they have the same ordered set of
type specifiers and abstract declarators, either directly or
via typedefs.  Two structures or unions are different if they
have no names or different names (taking tags and typedef
synonyms into account), even if their members are identical."

> b. Is a pointer to void pointer to anything, like
>    it is done in C++ ?

(void *) is a type capable of being assigned a pointer to
anything and back without loss of information.

> c. Did aggregate's assignment statement make it into the
>    ANSI standard (draft) ?

Simple assignment requires both operands to be arithmetic
types or to have the same structure, union, or pointer type.

> d. Is specification of function's formal parameters
>    in declaration required by ANSI draft ?

Only if you want parameter type checking and coercion.

> Finally, what are the good books/articles on the
> new standard(s) ?

Since the standard has not yet been ratified, a book would
be premature.

See also the mod.std.c newsgroup.

rich@rexago1.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (01/07/86)

In article <1197@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>The ANSI X3J11 committee is still very active, but they haven't
>finished yet.  The latest draft standard that I have a copy of
>is Doc. No. X3J11/85-138 (Nov. 11, 1985); it should be available
>through the X3 Secretariat: CBEMA, 311 First St NW, Washington
>DC 20001 (202)737-8888.

We just received our copy from CBEMA.  *A*P*R*I*L* draft with the nice
goldenrod *J*U*L*Y* cover for $20.

Piss.

So how do I get a Nov. 11, 1985 copy?

Grrr.

> In article <1197@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
> >The ANSI X3J11 committee is still very active, but they haven't
> >finished yet.  The latest draft standard that I have a copy of
> >is Doc. No. X3J11/85-138 (Nov. 11, 1985); it should be available
> >through the X3 Secretariat: CBEMA, 311 First St NW, Washington
> >DC 20001 (202)737-8888.
>
> We just received our copy from CBEMA.  *A*P*R*I*L* draft with the nice
> goldenrod *J*U*L*Y* cover for $20.

My apologies to those who have had this trouble.  I get my copies
through unofficial channels.  I believe it is possible to join the
X3J11 mailing list and receive a copy of all their publications,
for some fee like $200/year; probably one could find out about this
and other means of obtaining copies of the drafts by asking Thomas
Plum at Plum Hall Inc., 1 Spruce Avenue, Cardiff NJ 08232.  He is
the official X3J11 interface to the public.  It would be nice if
the first person to get definitive information on this would post it.

joemu@nsc-pdc.UUCP (Joe Mueller) (01/11/86)

> In article <1197@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
> >The ANSI X3J11 committee is still very active, but they haven't
> >finished yet.  The latest draft standard that I have a copy of
> >is Doc. No. X3J11/85-138 (Nov. 11, 1985); it should be available
> >through the X3 Secretariat: CBEMA, 311 First St NW, Washington
> >DC 20001 (202)737-8888.
>
> We just received our copy from CBEMA.  *A*P*R*I*L* draft with the nice
> goldenrod *J*U*L*Y* cover for $20.
>
> Piss.
>
> So how do I get a Nov. 11, 1985 copy?
>
> Grrr.

I will bring it up to the committee whether it's time to re-release our
current draft. The copy from CBEMA will always be out of date with our
current draft. The committee needs to explicitly vote on releasing the
draft to CBEMA, the latest draft does not automaticly go out for
distribution. CBEMA is distributing the last draft that we voted out for
distribution, unfortunately it's April's draft.

The latest copy of the draft is not kept secret, it's just too expensive to
give them out to everyone that asks, that's why we have CBEMA hand them out,
and that's why they charge $20 for it.

The only way to get current copies of the draft is to join the X3J11 committee
as either a full member or an observer or know someone that is.