[net.lang.c] C++ vs. Objective-C

rlw@well.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (03/16/86)

Has anyone evaluated -- or actually USED -- both C++ and Objective-C
from standpoints of ease of programming, clarity of code, and speed
of execution?  Which wins?

-- Bob Weissman
   G.WEISSMAN@SU-SCORE.ARPA
   ...!well!rlw

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (03/17/86)

In article <780@well.UUCP> rlw@well.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
>Has anyone evaluated -- or actually USED -- both C++ and Objective-C
>from standpoints of ease of programming, clarity of code, and speed
>of execution?  Which wins?

What is "Objective-C"?  Pointer to book, reference manual, or article,
please.  I am presently reading the C++ book and it would be an ideal
time for me to make at least vicarious comparisons.
--
Herb Kanner
McDonnell Douglas (TYMNET)

keith@cecil.UUCP (keith gorlen) (03/19/86)

>>Has anyone evaluated -- or actually USED -- both C++ and Objective-C
>>from standpoints of ease of programming, clarity of code, and speed
>>of execution?  Which wins?

I have evaluated Objective-C by attending one of their technical
seminars, and I have purchased and studied the Objective-C Reference
Manual, but I have not actually USED Objective-C.  I have used C++
extensively, however.  In my opinion, C++ POTENTIALLY wins by a mile on
all counts.  I say potentially because Objective-C includes a
Smalltalk-80 -like class library in addition to a pre-processor.  C++
provides only the tools for implementing a similar library, which I know
from personal experience to be non-trivial.  In a comparison between
apples and apples, i.e., Objective-C vs. C++ and my Object-Oriented
Program Support (OOPS) class library, the latter wins on ease of
programming and clarity of code, and should also win on speed because of
C++ inline functions and more efficient virtual function calls.

The OOPS class library is in the public domain, but I have a considerable
amount of work left to do on the documentation before it will be in
useable form.

>What is "Objective-C"?  Pointer to book, reference manual, or article,
>please.  I am presently reading the C++ book and it would be an ideal
>time for me to make at least vicarious comparisons.

I don't have their materials handy, but the information you would like
can be obtained from Productivity Products, Inc., Sandy Hook CT.  I
would also recommend their seminars.
--
---
	Keith Gorlen

larry@JPL-VLSI.ARPA (03/21/86)

Tom Mackey of Burroughs Distributed Systems Group in Boulder recently passed
along a one-pager from Gary Walker, a DSG manager.  The conclusion was that
C++ won out in ease of use, development time, execution speed, code & data
size, and maintainability.  Another benefit that others have mentioned is
that C++ will compile straight C programs with little or no changes needed.

One thing that Stroustrup's book hasn't cleared up for me is:
HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE C++?  (I DON'T like C-inc; too close to Sink.  And Isn't
C-Plus taken?)
                                   Larry @ jpl-vlsi.arpa

rbj@icst-cmr.ARPA (Root Boy Jim) (03/21/86)

	From: larry@jpl-vlsi.arpa
	Subject: C++ vs. Objective-C
	To: info-c@BRL.ARPA

	One thing that Stroustrup's book hasn't cleared up for me is:
	HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE C++?  (I DON'T like C-inc; too close to Sink.
	And Isn't C-Plus taken?)
	                                   Larry @ jpl-vlsi.arpa

I pronounce it `see-plus-plus'. How about `see-bump?'
What's a UNIX programmer's favorite song? `cc rider.c' :-)

dm@BBN-VAX.ARPA (03/23/86)

How is C++ pronounced?  Stroustroup, in the introduction to his book
on C++, suggests that one see the appendix to Orwell's 1984 for a more
negative analysis of the name of the program, which leads me to
believe it is called C-double-plus, as in double-plus-good.

asw@rlvd.UUCP (Antony Williams) (03/25/86)

In article <60@cecil.UUCP> keith@cecil.UUCP writes:
>   In a comparison between
>apples and apples, i.e., Objective-C vs. C++ and my Object-Oriented
>Program Support (OOPS) class library, the latter wins on ease of
>programming and clarity of code, and should also win on speed because of
>C++ inline functions and more efficient virtual function calls.
>
>The OOPS class library is in the public domain, but I have a considerable
>amount of work left to do on the documentation before it will be in
>useable form.

How about posting your library to mod.sources, with a pointer
in this newsgroup, when you are happy with it?  I for one would
appreciate it.  Any other votes?
Tony Williams					|Informatics Division
UK JANET:	asw@uk.ac.rl.vd			|Rutherford Appleton Lab
Usenet:		{... | mcvax}!ukc!rlvd!asw	|Chilton, Didcot
ARPAnet:	asw%rl.vd@ucl-cs.arpa		|Oxon OX11 0QX, UK