[net.lang.c] Published C code for sorting

larry@JPL-VLSI.ARPA (03/21/86)

In Purdum's _C_Programmer's_Library_ from Cue (Que?) publishing company there's
a whole section on sorting.  C code is given for several types of sorts.  Other
sections have C code for other applications.

Does anyone know of other books with ready-made C code?  Seems a shame for us tobe always re-inventing the wheel.  I'd especially like to see a discussion of
windowing and some useful code, even if only examples rather than a complete
system.
                            Larry @ jpl-vlsi.arpa

Jim.Thario%cod@NOSC.ARPA (03/22/86)

I'd also have to second the _C_Programmer's_Library_ from Que. It's section on
linked lists, sorting and filing is quite extensive. It also includes a large
collection of ISAM filing functions.

[noscvax|sdcsvax|cbosgd|ihnp4]!crash!vista!pnet!jthario

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (#Bill_Stewart) (03/26/86)

In article <1999@brl-smoke.ARPA> Jim.Thario%cod@NOSC.ARPA writes:
>I'd also have to second the _C_Programmer's_Library_ from Que. It's section on
>linked lists, sorting and filing is quite extensive. It also includes a large
>collection of ISAM filing functions.

I was highly unimpressed when I read it a few months ago.  First of
all, it uses a brain-damaged version of C.  Not to flame too loudly at
Ecosoft, but any book that's talking about writing portable code
shouldn't depend on
	UNBUFFERED STDIO!
Specifically, they authors say getchar and putchar must be unbuffered
for their program to work, and that these functions have to be MODIFIED
to work on systems with buffered versions.  NOt even a mention of
setbuf().  They also say functions can't return structures, which is
true for many compilers (not that they go into it), and yet they
declare some functions as void(),indicating they're pretending to have
a modern compiler.

They give a large section on writing a general terminal handling
library, with no mention of or compatibility with termcap or curses.
They show you how to create a generalized sorting utility, which gives
you your choice of bubble, shell, or quicksort, and has a brain-damaged
option-specification technique.

On the plus side, they do some good explanations, especially on things
like declaring pointers to functions returning pointers to arrays of
integers and the like.  The ISAM library they present might or might
not be useful.

--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/29/86)

  I think it might be worth noting that Thomas Plum is not only the author
of several books on C programming, but that he is also the founder of
Ecosoft.  Thus, it is not especially surprising that he should choose to
use his own company's compiler product to develop examples for his book.

  I believe that he does the reader a disservice by using non-standard I/O
for his functions.

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (04/01/86)

[]
In article <127@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP writes:

>  I think it might be worth noting that Thomas Plum is not only the author
>of several books on C programming, but that he is also the founder of
>Ecosoft.

Isn't Jack Purdum the founder of Ecosoft?
--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    Staff.Melinda%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

" ... a statement made while looking backwards will have its wrong end in
front."		[F. Huxley]