[net.lang.c] Why are there 50 copies of this article?

jaakov@WISDOM.BITNET (Jacob Levy) (04/04/86)

Newsgroups: net.lang.c
Subject: Re: Re: Gosub
In article <351@houligan.UUCP> daemon@houligan.UUCP writes:
>>    > /*
>>    > > In basic there is a GOSUB routine that will push the current
>>    > >  position onto the stack and jump to another line.  Then, upon
>>    > >  hitting a return will return to that place.  I wish to write
>>    > >  something like that in C that will be movable between compilers.
>>    > >
>>    > > [[Example Deleted] Deleted]
>>    >
>>    > To answer a somewhat different question, while I am opposed to this
>>    > construct in C (because it messes with the stack, making things
>>    > difficult), I would very much like to see this in shell command files.
>>    > Here, there is no stack, and variables would be global to the command
>>    > file. I feel that the overhead of opening another file and the
>>    > difficulty of passing back results (`cmd args` is limited) justifies it.
>>    > What say ye?
>>    >
>>    >         jim             cottrell@nbs
>>    > */
>>    Sorry jim, we're ahead of you.  It's called "function", and it's in
>>    both the System V shell and the Korn shell.  You probably missed it
>>    because you were looking for it under "funx" in the manual pages.
>>    --
>>
>>    Griff Smith       AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
>>    Phone:            (201) 582-7736
>>    Internet: ggs@ulysses.uucp
>>    UUCP:             ulysses!ggs  ( {allegra|ihnp4}!ulysses!ggs )

What's the deal? Why are there 50 copies of this article in my news system?
Anyone else seen that?

        Rusty Red (AKA Jacob Levy)

        BITNET:                         jaakov@wisdom
        ARPA:                           jaakov%wisdom.bitnet@wiscvm.ARPA
        CSNET:                          jaakov%wisdom.bitnet@csnet-relay
        UUCP: (if all else fails..)     ..!ucbvax!jaakov%wisdom.bitnet

ggs@ulysses.UUCP (Griff Smith) (04/05/86)

> Newsgroups: net.lang.c
> Subject: Re: Re: Gosub

[text deleted]

> >>    Griff Smith       AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
> >>    Phone:            (201) 582-7736
> >>    Internet: ggs@ulysses.uucp
> >>    UUCP:             ulysses!ggs  ( {allegra|ihnp4}!ulysses!ggs )
>

> What's the deal? Why are there 50 copies of this article in my news system?
> Anyone else seen that?
>

>         Rusty Red (AKA Jacob Levy)

I don't know either, but I assure you it was even more annoying for
me than it was for you.  The next time I am tempted to post a snappy,
sarcastic comeback to an article I will slap my wrists and take a
few deep breaths.  I should probably also stop reading net.audio.
--

Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		(201) 582-7736
Internet:	ggs@ulysses.uucp
UUCP:		ulysses!ggs  ( {allegra|ihnp4}!ulysses!ggs )

jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) (04/06/86)

yes, _many_ articles arrived here, too...
--
Jim Webb                                        ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jrw