[net.lang.c] Wayne Throop's declaration poll

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (04/11/86)

In article <290@dg_rtp.UUCP> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) writes:
> just what do you folks *do* when you try to construct a
>declaration in C?  This question is *not* rhetorical, nor intended as an
>insult.... I'd really like to know how folks go about constructing
>variable and type declarations in C.  Please mail me your methods...

>Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
><the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

I tried to e-mail this at three different addresses. I use the same method
you do (assume the variable is what you want and then work back to a basic
type).

--
"If you aren't making any mistakes, you aren't doing anything".
Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg

gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (04/15/86)

There was a memo on "e2c" and "c2e" at AT&T several years back.  It
was a lex program that converted English to C and vice-versa.  It
was pretty neat.  I wonder if somebody has a PD version, or maybe
the author could be found to donate it to the PD.

You could type at it:

	array of pointers to functions returning pointers to ints

And it would tell you what the declaration should look like.  And
vice versa.

Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc. (201) 922-1134, (201) 834-1378 @ AT&T-CP
..!ihnp4!castor!{rer,pcrat!rer} <--Replies to here, not to homxb!gemini, please.

kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) (04/22/86)

In article <1436@homxb.UUCP> homxb!gemini (Rick Richardson) writes:
>There was a memo on "e2c" and "c2e" at AT&T several years back.
>You could type at it:
>	array of pointers to functions returning pointers to ints
>And it would tell you what the declaration should look like.

Trouble is, many people who can't get the declaration right without
help would also have trouble phrasing it correctly in English.  In
particular, many people say "pointer to array of x" when they mean
"pointer to first element of array of x", which is "pointer to x".

Karl W. Z. Heuer (ihnp4!bentley!kwh), The Walking Lint