[net.lang.c] Who are Tartan Labs?

gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (04/10/86)

I have seen bits and pieces of references to Tartan Labs.
Could somebody tell me what their product line is, etc.

Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc. (201) 922-1134, (201) 834-1378 @ AT&T-CP
..!ihnp4!castor!{rer,pcrat!rer} <--Replies to here, not to homxb!gemini, please.

werme@alliant.UUCP (Eric Werme) (05/01/86)

In article <1415@homxb.UUCP> gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>I have seen bits and pieces of references to Tartan Labs.
>Could somebody tell me what their product line is, etc.

Apologies for not being super-specific,  but Tartan Labs is a spinoff
from Carnegie-Mellon University.  The people include several compiler
people who have much experience writing highly optimizing compilers
(they designed and imlplemented BLISS). One is a C for VAXes.

The reason I'm posting this is that they also produced a book entitled
"The C Reference Manual" that is a wonderful compilation of information
on C that any serious user or compiler writer should have next to K&R,
especially if they are interested in portable code.  The book covers
all sorts of weird cases that you just can't answer from K&R.  Available
in better bookstores on the East and West coasts.

ccrdan@ucdavis.UUCP (Dan Gold) (05/04/86)

> In article <1415@homxb.UUCP> gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
> >I have seen bits and pieces of references to Tartan Labs.
> >Could somebody tell me what their product line is, etc.
>
> Apologies for not being super-specific,  but Tartan Labs is a spinoff
> from Carnegie-Mellon University.  The people include several compiler
> people who have much experience writing highly optimizing compilers
> (they designed and imlplemented BLISS). One is a C for VAXes.
>
> The reason I'm posting this is that they also produced a book entitled
> "The C Reference Manual" that is a wonderful compilation of information
> on C that any serious user or compiler writer should have next to K&R,
> especially if they are interested in portable code.  The book covers
> all sorts of weird cases that you just can't answer from K&R.  Available
> in better bookstores on the East and West coasts.

Slight correction and more specifics on the book:
Title:		C: A REFERENCE MANUAL
Authors:	Samuel P. Harbison/Guy L. Steele Jr.
		of Tartan Laboratories
Publisher:	Prentice-Hall (Software Series)
Cost:		~$20.00

The book offers a lot of useful information on the standard features of most
C compiliers and points out potential pitfalls and improvements for
portability.

Dan Gold
University of California, Davis

UUCP: ...{ucbvax,lll-crg,lll-lcc,sdcsvax,dual}!ucdavis!minnie!ccrdan
ARPA: ...ucdavis!minnie!ccrdan@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

keith@cecil.UUCP (keith gorlen) (05/04/86)

They (Tartan Labs) have also recently announced a globally optimizing C
compiler for the IBM RT PC.  I gave them a phone call several weeks ago
and asked for more information, which I haven't received.  I seem to
have misplaced their phone number and address, so I have not been able
to follow up.  If anyone has it, I'd appreciate their sending it.
Thanks!
--
---
	Keith Gorlen