[net.lang.c] Obfuscated C

woody@juliet.caltech.edu (William E. Woody) (05/06/86)

  I understand that it would be very useful to have /\, \/, #import, ^^,
&#, and any other pair of non-alphanumeric character represent some special
operation that would be useful (and even _important_) for some application
or another.

  HOWEVER, as useful it would be to include other operators, Remember What
Happened to PL/1.  Because everyone in the design committee wanted something
and no-one wanted to say no! we stop adding commands/functions/operators
here, I have never seen a full implementation of PL/1 on any machine--the
original language specifications are too bloody big to have a compiler fit
on a single vax.

  I Like C to be reasonably easy to learn _and_ extremely powerful, as well.
But if we tack on new commands and operators at will, then everyone's program
will be a winner in the Obfuscated C contest!

         - William Woody
      NET  Woody%Romeo@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu
   USNAIL  1-54 Lloyd, Caltech / Pasadena, CA 91126

Boy I can feel the flames now! :-)

chongo@nsc.UUCP (Landon Noll) (05/12/86)

In article woody@juliet.caltech.edu (William E. Woody) writes:
 >  I Like C to be reasonably easy to learn _and_ extremely powerful, as well.
 >But if we tack on new commands and operators at will, then everyone's program
 >will be a winner in the Obfuscated C contest!
 >
 >         - William Woody

I agree.  Most suggestions of "new-and-improved" C features try to make
C into some other language.  I was glad to see Ansi-C standard drafts
did not go Hog-wild (as in J. Poornelly C) with features, though some
of them go too far.

When you want to add something to C, ask yourself:  Does the power I
gain justify the additional complexity of the compiler?  Does it break
existing C programs?  Does it add something that was not already there
in another form?

Last, consider what this "new" feature will do to the complexity of C
source.  Consider the potential abuse of the "feature".  If 1986's
entries any any judge, we nearly have enough of these problems already...

chongo  <CONTEST ENDS MAY 30!  HAVE YOU SENT IN YOUR ENTRY?>  /\cc/\

d25001@mcomp.UUCP (05/19/86)

>  HOWEVER, as useful it would be to include other operators, Remember What
>Happened to PL/1.  Because everyone in the design committee wanted something
>and no-one wanted to say no! we stop adding commands/functions/operators
>here, I have never seen a full implementation of PL/1 on any machine--the
>original language specifications are too bloody big to have a compiler fit
on a single vax.

>         - William Woody
>      NET  Woody%Romeo@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu
>   USNAIL  1-54 Lloyd, Caltech / Pasadena, CA 91126

That's what comes of trying to put a big language on a small machine.

Carrington Dixon