[net.lang.c] expression, expression;

I think there may be at least one good reason NOT to do this, or at
least to have expressions on different lines of the source code
even if <expression, expression;> is legal--and that is for debugging.
If you have code which is giving mysterious core dump problems,
Murphy's law says sdb or adb will show the problem occurring on a
line with multiple statements on it, and you'll just have to go back
and edit the code into several lines each containing a single statement
to pin down the problem.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy

kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) (05/26/86)

In article <892@ttrdc.UUCP> ttrdc!levy (Dan Levy) writes:
>I think there may be at least one good reason NOT to do this ...: for
>debugging.  If you have code which is giving mysterious core dump problems,
>Murphy's law says sdb or adb will show the problem occurring on a line with
>multiple statements on it ...

Well, what *I* do is look at the *instruction* where it bombed, rather than
the statement.  Of course, for less sophisticated users (or when using a
too-smart debugger that won't disassemble) that may not be an option.  This
brings up an interesting question, though.  Given that the language is
almost completely free-format, why should a debugger be line-oriented rather
than statement- or expression-oriented?  (Probable answer: it's trivial to
"point to" a line.)

Karl W. Z. Heuer (ihnp4!bentley!kwh), The Walking Lint