[net.lang.c] fopen

chris@cs.hw.AC.UK (Chris Miller) (06/08/86)

I notice that the February 1986 X3J11 draft standard for C omits
mention of fopen(), freopen() and fclose() (except in the index, which
is full of errors and appears to refer to an earlier draft).

Am I right to assume that this omission is deliberate?  I can see that
some systems may be unable to provide the facility of opening a file
whose name is supplied from within a program, but would have thought
that in practice such systems are now very rare.  In any case, there
should surely be a form of words that allows the standard to say "this
facility need not be available, but if it is, it should look like
this"; in effect, this has been done with kill/signal.

Or is the omission simply a slip of the word-processor?
--
	Chris Miller, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
	...!ukc!hwcs!chris   chris@hwcs.uucp	chris@cs.hw.ac.uk

In article <842@brahma.cs.hw.AC.UK> chris@cs.hw.ac.uk (Chris Miller) writes:
-I notice that the February 1986 X3J11 draft standard for C omits
-mention of fopen(), freopen() and fclose() (except in the index, which
-is full of errors and appears to refer to an earlier draft).

Be assured that these functions are supposed to be there.
(That's one of the hazards of reading the working drafts!)

meissner@dg_rtp.UUCP (Michael Meissner) (06/16/86)

In article <842@brahma.cs.hw.AC.UK> chris@cs.hw.ac.uk (Chris Miller) writes:

>I notice that the February 1986 X3J11 draft standard for C omits
>mention of fopen(), freopen() and fclose() (except in the index, which
>is full of errors and appears to refer to an earlier draft).

    This was an accidental omission.  It was included intact in the march
document.  The index probably suffered since we had to change from numbering
the major sections (environment, language, library, appendices) with upper
case roman letters to numbers, due to ANSI rules on how a standard should
look.

> I notice that the February 1986 X3J11 draft standard for C omits
> mention of fopen(), freopen() and fclose()...
> Or is the omission simply a slip of the word-processor?

Either it was just a typo or you were looking in the wrong place somehow.
It's in the May draft.
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

rgh@inmet.UUCP (06/27/86)

The omission of fopen(), fclose(), and freopen() from the February
ANSI X3J11 draft standard was purely a document preparation error.

	Randy Hudson  ihnp4!inmet!rgh