[net.lang.c] decline of net.lang.c

cgw@mruxe.UUCP (C Waldman) (07/08/86)

Well, the time has finally come for me to hit the old 'U' key...
too bad, this newsgroup used to be more interesting- seems like
all I ever see anymore are people asking questions that could
be answered by a quick look at the manual- you call yourselves C
programmers, and you _still_ dont understand pointers? But the last straw
when reading the most recent posting on this = versus == versus
:= issue-  MEYER@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA proposes a 'new angle' on the question-
how many times do tou use each, and how many keystrokes, and wonders what K&R
would think of that... well, it's on page 17:
   Since assignment is about twice as frequent as equality testing in C
programs, it's apporpriate that the operator be half as long.

   The question about negative bit-shifts was of the same ilk- the answer
is in front of your nose, if you just look-

   I just don't have the time to read this group anymore. bye-bye.

dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) (07/09/86)

In article <119@mruxe.UUCP>, cgw@mruxe.UUCP (C Waldman) writes:
> Well, the time has finally come for me to hit the old 'U' key...
> too bad, this newsgroup used to be more interesting- seems like
> all I ever see anymore are people asking questions that could
> be answered by a quick look at the manual- you call yourselves C
> programmers, and you _still_ dont understand pointers? But the last straw
> when reading the most recent posting on this = versus == versus
> := issue-  MEYER@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA proposes a 'new angle' on the question-
> how many times do tou use each, and how many keystrokes, and wonders what K&R
> would think of that... well, it's on page 17:
>    Since assignment is about twice as frequent as equality testing in C
> programs, it's apporpriate that the operator be half as long.
>

>    The question about negative bit-shifts was of the same ilk- the answer
> is in front of your nose, if you just look-
>
>    I just don't have the time to read this group anymore. bye-bye.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  The only thing I have to add is that
net.lang.c has the lowest return of information for my time invested in
reading it and that it contributes about 10 to 15% of the news I have to
wade through because of the high volume of junk posted to it.  How do you
spell relief?  I spell it "u-n-s-u-b-s-c-r-i-b-e".  Flames to net.lang.c,
since I won't be there to read them anyway.

					Don Nash

UUCP:    ...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!dlnash
APRA:    dlnash@ngp.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
BITNET:  cceu001@utadnx

        Money for nothing and chicks for free?  WHERE?!?!

CRAIG%UREGINA1.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (Craig Knelsen) (07/11/86)

        Both cgw@mruxe.uucp and dlnash%ut-ngp.uucp@BRL.ARPA complain that
this newsgroup has rapidly deteriorated due to such things as the never
ending saga of why the equality test operator is == instead of = which I
believe has been the result of some misguided Pascal programmers trying to
get people to believe that the language can actually do something useful.
I thought that this group was for discussing C-related topics only. I don't
want to invest my time in reading it if all this Pascal gibberish is thrown
in as well. It's hard to believe that companies like Apple Computer have
based their Macintosh firmware on Pascal or that this language can be used in
ACM Programming Contests but not C (maybe they know that 10 Pascal to 2 C
Programmers is still no match whatsoever and they want to give these less
fortunate people a fighting chance).
        I am Anti-Pascal? Whatever gave you that idea?

                                                        Craig Knelsen
                                                        University of Regina
                                                        Regina, Sask.

UUCP: {ihnp4 | utcsri | alberta} !sask!regina!cknelsen

    "Real Programmers don't write in PASCAL, or BLISS, or ADA, or any of
     those pinko computer science languages. Strong typing is for people
     with weak memories."

hutch@sdcsvax.UUCP (Jim Hutchison) (07/15/86)

At the June Usenix there was a gentleman giving a talk
on PCC2,QCC,& RCC.  I am interested in information on
acquiring the product.  Source ofcourse because he does
not have a version for the machine it will run on, and
some sort of license for binary distirbution.

Thanks!
--
    Jim Hutchison   UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!hutch
    "I rep. me"     ARPA:	Hutch@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu