[net.lang.c] Survey of C Compilers for micros

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) (07/18/86)

[nibbles and bits...]

I am very partial to the Computer Innovations C86 compiler, but I also
like the Microsoft C compiler.  The MS compiler is slower, and not as
UNIX-like.  Both libraries are interchanable -- at least in format.  In
other words, libraries in MS OBJ format are accepted and used by both
compilers -- intended for the PC/MS DOS linker.  Aztec C and Latice C are
less friendly, and require work to port programs to/from them;  CII's C
and MS C easily port programs with UNIX (not requiring the system library),
and are close (if not) to the new ANSI standard C going through.  Third-
party libraries are also compatible with CII C86 and MS C.

					- bob
--
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications
Purdue University 		...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

Let's make like a BSD process, and go FORK-OFF !!	-- bob
(and "make" a few children while we're at it ...)

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (07/20/86)

In article <583@ecn-pc.UUCP>, sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) writes:
> I am very partial to the Computer Innovations C86 compiler, but I also
> like the Microsoft C compiler.  The MS compiler is slower, [ ... ]

Not in my experience.  I compiled the same (small model) program on three
compilers, keeping track of time and code sizes.  Here is the summary:

The "ls.c" program was compiled using the CI-C86 compiler v 2.10 (cxls.exe),
the DeSmet compiler v 2.3 (dxls.exe) and the Microsoft C compiler v 3.0
(mxls.exe).  The Microsoft compiler had slightly more source code than the
other two; an #ifdef added a few extra lines of code to speed up screen
printing.

Here are the compile times, using RAMdisk for all of the CIC and DeSmet
compilers, and temp storage for Microsoft, which is too big to fit in
RAMdisk.  Source files were read from hard disk.

Compile times:                 Ratio

cxls.exe    3:37   (217 s)      5.1
dxls.exe    0:42   ( 42 s)      1.0
mxls.exe    2:48   (168 s)      4.0

Here are the resulting file sizes:

d:/work/?xls.exe
--w  15205  30 Jan  8:28p cxls.exe
--w  17920  30 Jan  5:02p dxls.exe
--w  12816  30 Jan  8:33p mxls.exe

Execution times were measured for the command "xls -l d:/bin" which printed
a complete screenful of data; the executable files were in RAMdisk to
minimize loading time.  Output was to screen, and into a file (in RAMdisk).

Execution times:

            To Screen   To file      Ratios

cxls.exe      6.5 s       3.0 s     1.6  1.6
dxls.exe      5.0 s       6.5 s     1.2  3.4
mxls.exe      4.1 s       1.9 s     1.0  1.0

DeSmet compiles 4 times faster than Microsoft, 5 times faster than CIC.
Microsoft generates the smallest code with the fastest execution.
CI-C86 has nothing outstanding to recommend it.
--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

adamsd@NOSC.ARPA (07/21/86)

FYI, our section at JPL (DSN Data Systems) has adopted the DeSmet compiler for
any C programming that needs to be done (none as yet) after similar testing.
Apparently, their main concern is development (read: compile & go) time.

toddo@uhmanoa.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) (07/22/86)

Microsoft just sent me the Microsoft C Version 4.0 upgrade notice.  Since
it will be "4 to 6 weeks" before I receive the upgrade (according to the
Microsoft order form), could someone please post a review of the new
window oriented symbolic debugger?  There was also a hint in the upgrade
brochure that MS-DOS MAKE has been enhanced.  Does anyone know what the
enhancements are?  thanks...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, University of Hawaii, Dept. of Psychology

UUCP:     {ihnp4,dual,vortex}!islenet!
				      \
                                ihnp4!__\__ uhmanoa!toddo
					/
      {backbone}!sdcsvax!noscvax!humu!/
                       /
                clyde/

ARPA: OGASAWARAT%HAW.SDSCNET@LLL-MFE.ARPA

** I used to be: ogasawar@nosc.ARPA & ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP

alsup@bnrmtv.UUCP (Jim Alsup) (07/24/86)

> FYI, our section at JPL (DSN Data Systems) has adopted the DeSmet compiler for
> any C programming that needs to be done (none as yet) after similar testing.
> Apparently, their main concern is development (read: compile & go) time.

I agree, I use to use DeSmet C for all my development.  I now use DataLight's
C, it's even faster for what's important (compile time).  The end product
can then be compiled in the best code (spell that runs fastest) producing
compiler.  Metaware's C ranks at top of the list for this purpose.  I use
still another compiler for porting large amounts of code from some other
machine. MS C seems to be best at this job.

Cheers,
Jim Alsup

wolf@galbp.UUCP (Wolf) (07/29/86)

I've followed this discussion with interest, but was wondering
why CI86 (Computer Inovations (?)) never made it in any of the
survey articles.  I've had limited experience with it and have had no
problems with it, whatsoever.  In other surveys (e.g., Byte) it was always
in the top 3.  Have I missed something?

--

Wolf Herda
Harris/Lanier

oleg@electra.cs.ucla.edu (Oleg "Kill the bastards" Kiselev) (08/06/86)

In article <419@galbp.UUCP> wolf@galbp.UUCP (Wolf) writes:
>why CI86 (Computer Inovations (?)) never made it in any of the
>survey articles.  I've had limited experience with it and have had no
>problems with it, whatsoever.  In other surveys (e.g., Byte) it was always
>in the top 3.  Have I missed something?

CI86 is neither very fast nor does it produce very good code. The biggie is
the number of bugs in implementation of large memory model float, double and
struct handling. CI86 (the release we had used a year ago) manages to mess up
the addressing. CI86 is comfortable to use tho', and is fine (as far as we
found!) for <64K stuff.

--
"... having someone special for dinner?"	Oleg Kiselev
                          _Cannibal Girls_	oleg%OACVAX.BITNET